Seven- Quirrel

The next afternoon, Tom, Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione were all in the library, discussing the events of previous night.

Ron had noticed that Snape's leg had been injured last night, and now they all were wondering what could be behind the trap door that Fluffy (Hagrid's three headed dog) was guarding. (A week ago, Draco and Crabbe had challenged Ron and Harry to a duel after curfew. In order to not get caught, Harry, Ron, Hermione (who'd gone to stop them), and Neville (who had been there by happenstance) ran to the third floor corridor and ran into Fluffy.)

"Let's ask Hagrid," Harry suggested.

"Why would we ask him?" Tom asked, not bothering to mask his disgust. He did not like Hagrid. It ran deeper than his dislike of Ron. It was a similar feeling to his distrust of Dumbledore. He just couldn't explain it.

"He'll tell us anything," Harry said matter of factly.

"Yeah, let's talk to Hagrid!" Ron agreed, which only deepened Tom's scowl.

Harry kicked Tom's leg under the table and gave him a pointed look. Tom sighed. "Fine. Go talk to the half-giant."

Draco and Ron both gave Tom a puzzled look at his choice of words, but neither said anything.

"Let's go this Sunday," Harry said.

Tom disappeared behind his book, blocking out Harry and the others.

Salazar Slytherin believed in maintaining the purity of the Wizarding blood. When Godric Gryffindor argued against this, Salazar agreed to allow young muggle-born wizards and witches attend Hogwarts. However, Salazar could only put up with the other Founders' ideals for so long. After nearly a century, Godric and Salazar had a massive falling out, and Salazar decided to leave Hogwarts rather than remain where the untrustworthy muggle-borns would be allowed into his school.

Salazar was said to have left his mark on Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Legend has it that he left a monster behind, though no proof of such a beast exists.

Over the years, other Headmasters and Headmistresses have ran the school more in tune with Slytherin's beliefs. Despite the growing number of witches and wizards wanting for the integration of muggle-borns at Hogwarts, there are still those who fight against it. The most recent leaders being Grindelwald and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

Voldemort. That's who that is... Tom thought. He paused his reading to glance at Hermione. If this were a century ago, she wouldn't be here. I might not be here.

Tom still wondered who he was and where he'd come from. It hadn't really bothered him before, but since coming to Hogwarts, it seemed knowing your family's history and blood status was important.

"Riddle? Are you coming?" Draco asked.

Tom blinked, and a quick scan of the table showed him that Harry and the other two had already left.

Tom slid his books in his bag, and then followed Draco out of the library. After putting their things away, they went to the Great Hall for dinner.

Tom didn't talk to Draco at all while he ate. He kept his eyes trained on his plate, his mind filled with all sorts of worries. Why does Harry care so much about that door? Since when did he like Hagrid? Dumbledore needs to quit staring at me all the time!

Tom looked at the Head Table and his eyes narrowed in the Headmaster's direction. Professor Dumbledore averted his gaze, and whispered something in Professor McGonagall's ear.

Tom looked up and down the Table. Hagrid was there laughing with Professor Flitwick; Professor Sprout was speaking with Kettleburn, the Care of Magical Creatures professor; And Professor Quirrel was quivering as he sat next to Professor Snape.