Chapter 3 (re-rewritten)

ok i finally got around to updating the logical inconsistency, here you fuckers go /lh

there arent any changes besides one scene

-----

Alright, third chapter! I'll probably rewrite up to like chapter 6 or 7, and definitely make sure the formatting is good on all the others.

-----

Nightmare had just grabbed a fresh taco from Cross's plate when the Multiverse shuddered. His goop involuntarily receded slightly in shock, tentacles twitching nervously.

"What was that?" Cross asked, though he knew the answer.

Nightmare only gave him a sad look, confirming his suspicions. It was the feeling of one of the Balances having only one side, and the Multiverse struggling to adjust.

The tacos lay forgotten as he made a portal to the Anti-VOID, glancing around for anything Error had left. Besides the few things he'd stolen, his puppets, and the navigational/decorative strings, Error didn't have much, and now he never would.

The most prominent thing was a small box of puppets. They looked different than usual. As Nightmare picked one up, he realized that they were all made of non-magic yarn. There was one puppet each of Fresh, Geno, Ink, Dream, both of Nightmare's forms, Blue, Classic, Cross, some weirdly translucent, black-and-white human, Killer, Dust, Horror, and finally Error himself.

A letter had been placed under the box, and Nightmare picked it up. It was addressed to whomever found it in Error's elegant handwriting. The envelope was made of thick, cream-coloured paper, the ink as black as Nightmare's own goop; he had no doubt that the note inside was written in the same fashion.

He took both the box and the letter and walked back to the portal, where Cross was hovering nervously. "Is he--" Cross couldn't finish the sentence.

Nightmare blinked a few tears out of his eyesocket. "We won't know until we read it. Gather the gang and please get Fresh, Blue, and Core, if you can find them."

They both hoped their suspicions were wrong, but they weren't stupid enough to believe it.

Cross managed to find the rest of the Dark Sanses just as Fresh knocked on the door. He joined the procession, and Core appeared somewhere along the way from the front door to the living room. No one could locate Blue, and Core simply shook their head sadly when asked. They were not often emotional-- seeing everything in the entire Omniverse, all the time does that to a person-- but they had never expected it to hurt so much when Error and Blue left.

"What's up, boss?" asked Horror worriedly when he found Nightmare clutching a box of puppets and an envelope.

"A Balance has been changed today, Horror," Nightmare said in lieu of an answer. "Someone has died."

"Was that what the unradical shaking and quaking of this here Multiverse was, bro?" asked Fresh rhetorically.

"And you think it's--" Dust broke off, looking very much like he was about to cry. "Are those--?"

Killer, too, noticed that the box was filled with puppets. He had seen Error's puppets before-- honestly, who hadn't at this point?-- but there was something odd about these ones. "Those aren't-- those aren't made from Error's strings, are they?"

Nightmare shook his head. "He left us them and a letter before he went to the battle." And didn't come back, was the unsaid ending to his statement.

Opening the envelope carefully, Nightmare unfolded the note. He was right about them being the same style. He read aloud,

"Dear Nightmare, Blue, Fresh, or really whoever finds this, I guess,