five. goodbye

You stand alone in the kitchen later on with a pretty red apron tied around your waist. Deciding not to burden anyone you refrained from telling anyone about the Von Eldritch incident. Baxter was such a nervous wreck he hurried off to the basement as soon as you arrived at the hotel. A part of you wanted to go after him but you know better than anyone that sometimes people just need to be alone.

Although you're still upset and soured by the encounter. Your knife skills are a bit sloppy and you're beginning to grow frustrated. Especially since you haven't seen Sir Pentious for longer than you have before.

Despite how comfortable the bed here were you had gotten so used to sleeping with Sir Pentious in your arms. Not having him curled up around you was foreign and so different you haven't slept. Tossing and turning in a heavenly bed was useless when you can't fall asleep.

"Oh it smells absolutely magnificent in here, my dear!"

You turn at the sound of Alastors voice and you smile pridefully. "Thank you, Alastor.",you say while turning back away,"Dinner should almost be done so someone should set up the table."

"Oh Niffty and Charlotte handle that!",he gives a dismissive wave while walking over to you. He sniffs the air with his upturned nose again and his footsteps come to a slow in front of you. You both stand across from the stove. His brows furrow and his smile falters a bit. "It smells so familiar..."

With him recognizing the scent you feel so much relief at having still been able to remember the recipe. "Close your eyes.",you demand with a soft tone. Your hand grabs a wooden spoon and your other puts on an oven mitt to grab the hot top of the silver pot. "I want you to have the first taste."

Alastor smiles at you yet his eyes are still filling with nostalgia. "Oh I'm honored, my dear!" He shuts his eyes and bends over in front of your face with a smile on his lips. You smile a bit nervously and take the lid off of the pot.

Alastor's brows pinch further as he hears the pot be removed. The smell increases tenfold, it's comforting and warm and spicy. Such an intense feeling of nostalgia and familiarity strikes him but he's unsure why. It's on the tip of his tongue but he can't place it.

His heart thumps when your fingers grab his chin gently. "Okay, open.",you say softly. Alastor parts his lips and allows you to slip the wooden spoon into his mouth. He fixes his posture and his eyes widen the second the taste of the different spices hits his tongue. His hand covers his mouth and his smile falls completely.

He hasn't tasted this heavenly taste in a century. Yet he knows what it is the second he tastes it. In just the blink of an eye it feels as if she has her hand against his forehead. Aiding to him while he's sick, doing her very best to hide her trembling hands and pain for his sake.

"Daddy's just being mean again, baby. Nothing for you to be concerned about...you just focus on gettin' better for mama alright? I made your favorite!"

"Really? Oh I love you, mama!"

"...I love you too, Alastor."

Then he recalls the first time he tasted it after she died. Just a week after when he was still shut off and he still refused to believe she was actually gone. You made him her exact secret recipe and the second he tasted it he crumbled completely.

"H-How...?"

"She gave it to me the first time you introduced me to her. I hope I did—"

You didn't even get to finish your sentence before Alastor pulled you close and begun to sob. The weight of never seeing his mother again lifted that December night with every choked sob and grasp at your dress. And you let him sob in your arms for the next four hours.