Chapter 17

The world is full of important people. There are important people who develop cures for diseases, people who create new technology, people who star in popular movies, and people who are just plain famous. Then there is insignificant little me.

In the days before the important people were important, did they ever have a clue of what they would become? Did they know that someday, their name would be spoken of everywhere? Or did they just live in the moment, waiting for it to happen?

As an average person, I am surrounded by average people. Around me, people are waiting for fate to take its course. But I've learned that fate never helps out; you have to make your own choices to become great.

I'm nobody special; I'm just an insignificant little human, no different from anyone else. The only thing I have going for me is that I have God.

"It's never too late to be what you could have been." -George Elliot

****

Breathing. I need to focus on breathing.

But it's sort of difficult to focus on breathing when everything around my head is spinning. I'm not going to lie; it feels weird to just let someone look into your heart. Trusting Austin was one of the best choices I ever made, but it is going to take some getting used to.

I'm used to him talking to me, driving me places, and following me around like a lost puppy. But, I'm not used to looking into Austin's eyes and feeling safe.

"Taylor? Are you still with me?" What? Oh right, I'm supposed to be breathing AND listening to Austin blab at the same time.

Normally, I would just read the mind to the person talking and have no problem jumping into the conversation, however, with Austin, I don't have that leisure.

"Sorry," It's early in the morning. I've never really been a morning person. Surely Austin can understand that.

 Being best buddies with Austin should feel like collaborating with the enemy, except he doesn't feel dangerous. I would say that I absolutely despise him, but then I would be lying.

Austin follows me as I walk down the hall to the cafeteria. It annoys me mildly, and I don't know why until I remember that he is actually still my enemy.

"Anyways, as I was saying," Austin seated himself across from me. "I suppose you are pretty good at sports since you can read minds, huh?"

When I didn't answer, he tried again. "Taylor?" He poked me, but still received no response from me. His grin quickly faded. "Is something wrong? Did I do something?"

"As a matter of fact, you did." I snapped. "I really did not appreciate you removing the spark plug from my car." Now that he knew I can read minds, I figured it was time to confront him about it.

"Removing your spark plug?" Austin frowned. "I would never ever do such a thing. Just read my mind if you don't believe me."

"Oh, believe me, I would love to, but that is exactly why I know that you are guilty." I said. "I can't read you."

"You can't read me? You mean you cannot read my thoughts?" He asked.

"Exactly," I whispered. "I know what teachers in the teacher lounge are thinking, what the kids around us are thinking, and what ever anyone else is thinking, but I have no idea what you are thinking."

Austin didn't seem too surprised by that piece of news which surprised me. "Well then, you're just going to have to believe me when I say I didn't sabotage your car." When my upset expression did not change, he desperately added, "If I was the person who messed with your car, then why would I turn around and give you a ride home?"