Chapter 11

Listen to the voice gnawing inside of you.

It is the little things that are important; small moments are when the big things happen.

****

School for the next day was canceled. I was pleased because that gave me the opportunity to save more people, of course.

My phone buzzed just as I opened my computer. Austin. I never should have given him my number.

Austin: Snow day!

Me: Did you still want to go on that morning run?

Austin: Eh, it's a little cold.

Me: Just joking

Austin: I'll take a rain check

I decided that that little bit of texting had been more than enough communication with Austin for the day, so I turned my phone off. He did not need any encouragement.

Focusing on my computer, I saw that I had like five new emails from Agent 99. I opened the last one.

Agent 99: I would really appreciate some feed back from you.

Sigh. I guess I better respond or else he might complain to Fabien that I'm not doing my share of the work for the case.

Me: I just feel that you're looking at this case completely wrong.

He responded almost right away.

Agent 99: How so?

Me: Well, in your plans, you are assuming that The Providence is a person.

Agent 99: Yeah, are you saying that you disagree with that?

Me: All I'm saying is that it is extremely unlikely.

Agent 99: Why?

Me: Well, did you ever think that it would be really hard for any person to know what was happening in Japan then five minutes later in the U.S.?

Agent 99: Good point. So what do you think The Providence is?

Like I would ever tell.

Me: There is always the computer theory.

Agent 99: You think that The Providence is really some all knowing computer?

Me: I'm not really sure. For all we know, The Providence is God.

Agent 99: Really?

Me: Hey, we wouldn't want to leave out any possibilities.

I am finding this Agent 99 to be really annoying.

Agent 99: I have decided that this isn't working. We could sit here arguing on the computer all day.

Me: Do you have a better idea?

Agent 99: We can always talk face to face.

Me: Like on skype?

Agent 99: No, I mean like old fashioned breathing the same air kind of face to face.

What? I don't want to go anywhere to meet this guy. He's probably even more annoying in person.

Agent 99: How would this afternoon work for you?

Me: Can't. I'm kind of snowed in.

Agent 99: Okay, tomorrow then. Meet me at the back corner table at Starbucks at 4:30.

Well, he is being bossy. Who made him in charge?

Me: That won't work either. I don't like coffee.