Chapter 10

Willow

Willow

I gave a helping hand to women and children as they got out of the buses and headed to our reception where they would fill out forms concerning their identity which would help us draft them into homes. Many families that got split up during the war would occasionally reunite here which we were hoping would happen.

We tried really hard to push everyone back into somewhat normal lives.

Children that had arrived would begin school in a week and adults who had previous professions would usually continue them here to help out. Doctors, architects, soldiers, teachers, etc.

But as the buses emptied and people filled up the building behind me I started to get worried. Where was she?

By now she would've been out of the bus, showing people around and getting to know the new people. Harlow was an extreme extrovert with a sympathetic heart that often made her vulnerable to being used. 

So the fact that she wasn't already out cracking jokes with the new kids was a bit strange. Or maybe she's dea-

No, she's fine. She promised me she would be.

I shook my head trying to get the intrusive thoughts out of my head. Instead clasping my now sweating hands together and looked profusely for my sister, helping out the new people now far from my concerns.

Dread filled me as the last bus emptied and there was still no sign of her caramel skin and wild curls. Instead, Lameck slowly got out of the bus, the look of horror on his face similar to the one on mine.

I slowly looked down at his hands to see her utility belt in them. He walked up to me slowly, regret in his eyes and tears filling up in mine. Lucky for him we were now alone outside as everyone had gotten inside for refreshments.

As soon as he got close I snatched the belt from his grimy fingers and searched it for blood, when I found none I became even more confused. "I-is she dead?" I asked, clutching the belt almost painfully in my hands. Lameck didn't answer merely hung his head "Lameck. Is. She. Dead?" I demanded now, gritting my teeth.

"No".

My blood ran cold. That was worse, so so so much worse.

"So where is she?" I looked around once again, expecting her to appear from thin air.

"Captured."

I didn't bother sticking around for the story. I turned on my heel and headed for the office not sparing him another glance. I was stopped by him grabbing my hand and roughly turning me around "Willow, it isn't my fault" He reached out and I smacked his hand away.

"It is" I bit back "Because if you would have fought hard enough you would at least have a scratch" I snarled, looking at his practically spotless body. Not a bruise in sight.

"I did all I could" He breathed out.

"You should've done more" I whimpered, my bottom lip quivering. "WBB has one rule Lameck, one! Do you remember what it is?"

He muttered a response but I didn't take it. "Speak up!".

"No man left behind" He repeated, clenching his jaw in irritation.

"Glad you remember it now because you clearly didn't then" 

"She told me to leave her behind"

I gaped in disbelief "And you did?" I took a step forward to him "You left my sister, our leader and your girlfriend on werewolf territory because she asked nicely?!" I was yelling at him now. Everyone else in the team came outside to see what the ruckus was all about.

"There were five alphas Willow, what was I supposed to do?!" He shouted.

"Even worse she was captured by alphas" I whispered. "If she wasn't dead she probably is now!" I looked down at the last thing I had to remember her by. A fucking belt.

"Lameck where's Harlow?" I heard someone ask.

"She's been.... taken," He told them, regret in his voice.

Gasps were let out as everyone realized the severity of the situation. I turned around and started heading for the house, ignoring everyone's pity filled looks. My sorrow had now turned into a burning rage. "Lameck you're off the team."

"For what?!" He growled in outrage, I snapped my head to meet his eyes.

"Inability to understand the basic concept of loyalty" He swallowed his reply to that. "The rest of you gather up the cameras and connect to the satellites" I ordered.

"That could give off our location and put the whole base in dang-

"I. Dont Care." I snapped "Gather up some fucking cameras and connect a satellite, make sure to get connection and access to every TV in the fucking country."

"We're going to send those dogs a little message".