Prologue

Well, he's dead, that's for sure

We all stared at the lifeless body, in an eerie silence. We were all aware of its identity but no one spoke a word to acknowledge it out loud. I knelt on my knees to check its pulse again, double-checking it's dead.

You never know with these creatures.

"Well...you did say you wanted to get his attention."

My head snapped to the person who made that smart remark. When I said I wanted to get his attention I meant blowing up a noble pack or something but If I'd known he was there I would've... I shook my head, this changed everything.

"How did we manage to pull this off?" Someone else asked. It was a rhetorical question but it was laced in disbelief and absolute horror. 

Even I couldn't believe we'd done this.

"I swear the chemicals I put in it weren't tha-"

"It doesn't matter," I spoke up, silencing everyone before they began to play the blame game. "We shot for a pigeon and won the golden goose." I looked down at the body briefly "At least we know we've definitely caught the king's attention now," I nodded.

This was extreme but for the good of the cause. I told myself. They would have done it too.

"Of course we have," Will snorted "The kings going to come running as soon as he finds out about this."

I took out my blade and severed the head from the body, before lifting it by its hair. The man had a beautiful full head of curls which I personally thought was his best feature. He was quite tan (besides the fact that he was looking a bit pale at the moment) but was muscular and conventionally attractive.

"Then we'll just have to send this to him," I agreed, tossing the head to the nearest person to me "And wait for the big bad wolf to come avenge his beta."