xi

⚕⚕⚕

S05E15

⚕⚕⚕

Sitting in her personal office (courtesy of her high position), Angelina was on the comfortable couch, reclined and reading a medical journal about the upcoming Harper Avery awards and the nominees.

Derek stood in front of her, rapidly pacing and running his hand over his face. "What if she says no?"

"She won't say no, Derek."

"What if she doesn't like the ring?"

"It's a gorgeous ring, Derek."

Apathetically, Angelina turned the page, after reading a short biography of a surgeon who pioneered a method in nerve repairs. To her surprise, the next page... Oliver. Her eyebrows went up in shock, as she glanced over to Derek, who was still in his own world of nervousness. Why hadn't Oliver told her about his? She'd have to ask him about it later.

There was a comfortable quiet of just pages turning, and Derek's slowing footsteps. It was nice, really. With the hectic work schedule of the two best neurosurgeons in the country (Angelina was still number one, much to Derek's dismay), they really need a tranquil moment. Unfortunately, it was ruined very shortly.

Derek stopped his pacing for a moment. "What's today's date?"

Angelina looked up at him, puzzled, "The eighteenth of February. Why?"

He just continued to stare at her until she caught on. "Oh, yeah. That."

Today's date loomed over her brain for the past week, ever since she was informed of the arrival. It seemed that the dark cloud was ever brooding over Derek, as he was more tense walking to the helipad than he was about stressing over his proposal.

Angelina looked over her left shoulder, where Derek was walking stiffly. "Are you alright Derek?"

"Yes," was the curt reply, "Fine."

They spoke no more, only hurriedly picking up their pace, almost racing each other to the elevator.

With the prompt "ding" the doors opened, and Angelina and Derek were met with the obscenely loud noise of a helicopter. But the sound from the blades of the aircraft didn't compare the deafening noise of silence. Two beings stood at the base, standing awkwardly.

Angelina silently invited them over, pity in her eyes. "Addie," she said, returning a hug. Addison sniffled, bending down to wrap her arms around her friend. Derek, a few feet over, was embracing Naomi, who strolled over to Angelina in order to greet her.

"Hey Angie," Naomi spoke softly, "Long time no see."

"Yeah," Angelina agreed, solemnly before cracking a small smile, "A shame it had to be like this though."

She motioned to the helicopter, where Doctor Webber was carrying out a patient. Archer.

"Does he know how he got the parasite?" asked Derek.

"He thinks he got from eating unwashed fruit in Mexico."

Angelina rolled her eyes. When the monitor started beeping however, she took of her stethoscope immediately.

"He's bradycardic and he's hypotensive?" The chief asked.

Glancing between the monitor and the IV, Angelina formed a conclusion. "He's having a reaction to the Fentanyl drip. Stop the Fentanyl and push Narcan."