twenty six. broken home

[ 2x09 thanks for the memories]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

I'm in Los Angeles for a conference this weekend. Would like if you could come down and spend Thanksgiving with me. I'll pay for everything.

- Mark

Mackenzie reread the short letter for the tenth time, the words not changing at all. She was confused and angry at this. After all this time without talking and he sends her this short, emotionless letter? Why not call her? Why not just come up to Seattle to spend Thanksgiving with her? A better idea, why even contact her at all?

She did miss her brother, but he was too consumed with the New York City lifestyle and being a hot shot plastic surgeon to care. It turned him into a lifeless person who only cared about money and his next boob job. Family was the last thing on his mind. Him sleeping with Addison was the last straw for her; ruining the closest thing she had to a real family.

She was thankful Meredith was taking the Thanksgiving shift this weekend, so she had plenty of time to decide. In a way, she wished she would've taken it so she had an easy way out.

Alex walked into the room, a towel hanging low on his waist, his skin still glistening from his morning shower. Her thoughts were occupied for by his beauty for a few seconds as he ran a hand through his damp hair.

"Liking the view?" he teased, glancing at her in the mirror.

Mackenzie blushed. "Oh, for sure."

He noticed the letter in her hands and walked over. He snatched it before she realized what he was doing. Alex read over it, a scowl forming on his face. "Hell no. You're not going to see him."

"I haven't even made up my mind yet," she got up from the bed and snatched the letter from him. "Besides, this is my decision."

Alex shook his head. "He's neglected you since I met you and sends a crappy happy birthday text once a year. Mark doesn't deserve any of your time."

Mackenzie knew he was right, but she felt herself being drawn to want to go to Los Angeles. She wanted to see if he truly cared anymore. As much as she hated admitting it, she missed having a true brother. Sure, Derek was fine, but the childhood memories of Mark being the overprotective brother clouded her mind.

"Wait there's something else."

Mackenzie shook the envelope and a round trip plane ticket to Los Angeles fell out. A voucher for a five star hotel floated down to the sheets as well.