eight. talk me down

[ 1x05 shake your groove thing - part 1 ]

*skipped 1x04*

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Chief Webber had offered Mackenzie some time off after finding out the patient she had was close to her, but she refused to miss any time at work. She needed a distraction still from her lingering pain; it had gotten better, but whenever she walked by the O.R, she remembered the sound of Lewis' monitor flatlining.

Writing the intern letters had made some weight lift off of her. She had them stowed away under a loose floorboard in her room and they would stay there for until their board exams.

Alex was also checking up on her throughout the day, making sure everything was okay. It was oddly comforting even after their last interaction that didn't turn out well. He would take her pit days or run labs for her. She was slowly starting to warm up to him again.

That was until he pulled the stunt on Izzie.

Scandalous photos of Izzie were printed everywhere throughout the intern room. Alex was laughing with a couple of the guys and when Izzie went off on Alex (after angrily throwing off her clothes) Mackenzie knew Alex was behind all of this. It was unacceptable and Mackenzie couldn't side with his behavior. So, she ignored him for a bit.

Mackenzie was now rushing through the hospital, getting a page from Bailey. Lately, she's been on Derek's service. Their relationship was growing a bit, but whenever Derek caught himself getting too comfortable, he would pull away and act cold to her. It was odd not being on neuro, but she knew interns were supposed to try out everything to see what they liked.

She walked into the C.T room where scans were already printed. Mackenzie saw George at the computer. He turned around and his face lit up as she walked into the room. Mackenzie gave him a smile back and saw Bailey motioning her to come over.

"Mackenzie, wanna tell me what we have here?"

She analyzed the scans closely. General wasn't her strongest, but she still a knew a lot to recognize what she was looking at. "Hyperinflated lungs. Cloudy with bullae. I can imagine she's having shortness of breath with this little capacity."

Bailey nodded. "Course of action?"

"Bullectomy procedure. It will remove the bullae and reduce pressure."

Her resident smiled. "Looks like you and George are on the same page."

"Of course we are!" George said with a bit too much enthusiasm.