twenty two. hardest to love

[ 2x05 bring the pain ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Hey you."

Mackenzie skipped over to Alex and planted a kiss on his cheek. He recoiled a bit, but not enough for Mackenzie to notice.

"You're in a good mood," points out Alex.

Mackenzie nodded, leaning against his locker as he tied his shoes. "Yep because we are having a date night tonight."

"Where at?" he asked.

"Well, I made reservations at that one Italian place we always talk about going to," she says. Mackenzie leans in to whisper in his ear. "And then we can go back to your place..."

Alex smiles. "I like the sound of that."

Mackenzie claps her hands together. "Yay! Be ready at eight."

"Rounds people, lets go!" Bailey calls out into the room.

After having an interesting encounter with a patient who watches porn to ease his pain, Bailey brought them to the main lobby to give each of them their assignments for the day.

"O'Malley, Karev you're in the pit today. Stevens, there's a cardiac patient waiting for you on two. Yang keep an eye on the Lamott's I don't want any problems. Sloan, you're with Shepherd - Addison Shepherd today. She's on four. Now, go."

Mackenzie groaned, turning away from Bailey.

"Keep your head up Sloan or you'll be doing rectal exams all next week!"

Mackenzie turned back, giving her a forced smile and a thumbs up. She went up to the fourth floor and walked through the halls, searching for Addison. The lights kept flickering above her, but she kept continuing on.

"There you are," Addison set her clipboard down and motioned her to follow. "Have you seen Derek?"

Mackenzie rolled her eyes. "No. Is that the reason I'm on your service today?"

"No, I haven't had you on my service at all so...here we are," Addison gave her a smile and opened a door for her.

Mackenzie walked in and saw a woman with a large baby bump laying in bed while her husband flipped through a newspaper.

"Good morning Layla," Addison greeted.

Layla was about to answer, but cringed in pain. She took a couple of deep breaths before composing herself. "Sorry, I'm still not used to the contractions."

"Still ten minutes a part?" asked Addison.

Layla nodded. "Kendall here just keeps ignoring them."

Kendall set down his newspaper. "I'm reading the sports section, honey."

What a lovely husband that is, thought Mackenzie.