five. tolerate it

[ 1x02 the first cut is the deepest - part 2 ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

The sun had set already in Seattle, the sky a deep purple now and the hospital was slower than it was during the day. Another night shift was looming before Mackenzie and the rest of the interns. She swore she still wasn't over the forty eight hour shift.

"Hallway?" asked George, catching up to her.

She nodded. "I need a break before Shepherd gets on my ass again."

George stopped at the vending machine just outside the hallway. "Want anything?"

Mackenzie glanced at the bags inside. "Um, a poptart would be nice. Thanks."

George smiled. "Of course."

Mackenzie waited for George to get their snacks before heading in. Meredith brushed by her with the cooler with the penis. Cristina, Izzie, and Alex were already in there, looking just as exhausted as her. She sat by Izzie and George plopped down next to her. She ripped the poptart open and handed a half to Izzie, who took it thankfully.

"They can't send a crime scene guy down for hours, so I have to spend the night with my penis," sighed Meredith as she sat down next to Cristina. "Alex don't say it."

"It was too easy anyways."

"Who here feels like they have no idea what they're doing?" stated George. Everyone raised their hands, except Alex. "I mean, are we supposed to be learning something? Because I don't feel like I'm learning anything."

Mackenzie rolled her eyes. "I'm learning how everyone in this hospital treats interns like crap."

"Except how not to sleep," says Izzie.

"It's like there's this wall. The attendees and the residents are over there, being surgeons, and we're over here, being..."

"Suturing, code-running, lab delivering penis minders," Meredith finished.

"I hate being an intern," grumbled Alex.

Before Mackenzie could try and dose off or finish her poptart, Bailey came into the hallway, not pleased with any of them resting. She didn't even have to say anything for all of them to get up quickly and rush to their assigned positions they got earlier that morning.

Mackenzie went back to the neuro wing to check up on Derek's patients, like she did an hour earlier. Today was repetitive and exhausting, she needed it to be morning already so she could go home and sleep.

Her pager beeped at her waist. Derek had a 911 for her. Probably to do more labs.

She rushed to the third floor and saw him waiting for her in a scrub cap. "Dr.Shepherd."