Don't Make it Harder on Me

China felt so stupid.

The way she let Booboo hop in and out of her life as well as her bed. She knew she needed to end whatever the hell they were doing but she was catching real feelings for him. Not that she was trying to skew that by following the 'to get over someone you need to get under someone else' policy, but Cameron did pose a nice distraction. She wished she could tell him about what was going on- that's how much she trusted him. But she'd already told Normani and that was one person too many. Booboo made it clear that he didn't want anyone to know.

"Austin Powers wasn't funny Cam. I'm sorry." China said before chucking a piece of caramel corn at him.

Cameron scoffed as if he were truly offended. "Bull. Shit. Austin Powers is a comedic masterpiece."

"It's not. You're just a boy, "

"Reverse sexism!"

"No such thing, " she said a ticking her tongue out.

"Question," Cameron said with his mouth sort of full.

"Answer," China retorted.

"Did you used to compete in robotics competitions when you were younger?"

"Yeah, one time there was this really big event in Tal-"

"Tallahassee," he finished.

"Yeah," China sat up a little. "How'd you know?"

"It's weird because I've been sitting on this information for a while. But," Cameron smiled. "we met before I moved to Louisiana."

"Shut up!" China scooted closer to him on the couch and listened excitedly.

"Seriously." he laughed. "I remember your team beat ours in the final round and I was so damn sad."

They both laughed.

"To be fair I was a beast." China playfully gloated.

"You were but the reason I remember you from the thousands of kids I saw that weekend was because while we were getting our awards, you came up to me and said: hey I liked yours the best. You're really good. I can't wait to see you next year."

"I did?"

"Yeah," Cameron nodded. "it's crazy because I hate losing so I was planning on giving up. But I didn't. Unfortunately, my mom couldn't afford the program anymore. But I kept at it all because of you."

"I barely remember those days but... did we take pictures that day?" China squinted her eyes, trying to remember. "maybe if I saw one it would jog my memory."

China picked up her phone and began texting her father to see if he had any of those 8-year-old photos. surely Cameron or Maya was lurking in the background somewhere.

"My daddy says he's about to look in his old photo books," China said before tucking her phone away. "That's so insane. Why didn't you tell me before."

"I don't know. I wasn't sure if it was you at first but then, a few years ago in choir class- right before we started the band- you told me that I had a really good voice. You said that I should audition for a solo at the next concert. At that moment I knew it was you but I didn't say anything. Was too shy I guess."

"Shy? around me? Why?" China laughed.

"I don't know, I guess I sort of-"

China's phone began going off rapidly. "Oh that was quick." she pulled it back out of her pocket and opened up one of the texts from her father. "Oh my God." she gasped and smiled.