chapter two

Chapter Two: The Unexpected

After the final day of exams, everyone said their goodbyes for the summer and were excited by the large amount of sleep they would be getting that night, everyone except me. 

All I could think about was the upcoming vacation my family had planned that was days away. I was planning which books to bring, which outfits to pack, and how to avoid going on the beach at all cost. For as long as I can remember, I have always hated the beach. Just the mixture of disgusting hot sand and the thought of unknown creatures swimming in the water with me just made me hate it.

Since Collin was to be leaving for college in the coming months, my father decided that we all should take a family vacation to none other than the sunny Hawaii. 

He said that this trip was to celebrate all of our hard work during the semester, but I really think that he missed his family from all the work he had been doing lately. Although my distaste for the beach is strong, I am excited for this break because I will not have to be around anyone from school and I can take time for me.

Our flight was scheduled for 10 AM but of course my father deemed it necessary for us to be there two hours earlier which ended up being a smart decision as Zack and Jack failed to wake up on time and the check in line was terribly long. 

We arrived at the terminal about 10 minutes before they started to call people to board the plane. 

Some people have a fear of flying but I absolutely love it. The thrill of rising above the ground and traveling to a new destination at a height incredibly high is fascinating and freeing. I spent majority of the flight staring out the window at the clouds and before I knew it we had arrived at the Honolulu International Airport. We rented a car and drove ourselves to our condo.

The second my dad, brothers, and I got into the condo we all changed into our swimsuits and headed to either the pool or beach. The pool and beach were practically deserted besides my family and me. I headed to the pool and found a chair with an umbrella and a beautiful view of the ocean. I took off my cover-up and sat in my lounge chair and began to read my book which was I'll Give You The Sun. I've read this book many times before and it still remained as one of my all-time favorite novels. The hours felt like minutes and before I knew it, I was almost finished with my book and the sun was almost set. To savor these last moments of sunlight I finally dove into the water.

Once I had had my fill of swimming, I went back to my room, showered, and changed into some pajamas. I found the rest of my family in the kitchen preparing dinner. I was about to ask what was on the menu when suddenly a loud knock rang out on the door. 

Dan was the closest so he went to answer it while the rest of us stared quizzically at the door not knowing who it could be. Dan opened it and said, "Ummm Hunter there is a strange man in a dress here to see you". I had absolutely no idea who that could even be so I went to the door expecting it to be a joke, but sure enough it was no joke. 

There in the doorway stood an older man with silver hair and a beard down to his waist. The had piercing blue eyes that were filled with kindness which were hidden behind half moon glasses. He wore pale purple robes that had a star design across them. 

After staring at him for a moment I asked, "Hello I'm sorry but I believe you have the wrong house."

The man's mouth drew up in a smile as he replied, "Ms. Allen I can assure you that I do have the correct place if you are Ms. Hunter Allen?" As he saw me nod he continued, "Yes, indeed you are. Well I have come to bring some good news. My name is Professor Albus Dumbledore and I am the headmaster at Hogwarts, a special school for special people like you."