Burr is back. Thank. Fucking. God.

Now, I didn't exactly mind Laurens just sitting in my tent with me, but sometimes, I'd rather be alone and I don't know how to tell him to just go. He doesn't seem to notice my advances away when I want my alone time, but it's fine, because I might just need the company.

But, with Burr back, Hamilton comes back too. And so does Hamilton's snarkiness. Laurens had gone back to being at his side at all times, barely sparing me a glance, let alone words. Occasionally, we'll make plans to go into the woods for awhile, but those are always cancelled. I've given up trying to get alone time with him, so I just start wandering the woods alone with Spada. Leaves and snow crackle behind us, but I ignore it. I don't care if I die, half of my existence is painful, save the fact I was shot a month ago. Spada heard the noises and started to growl at whatever was moving, in hopes to either gain my attention or scare whatever it is off. Neither is going to happen, seeing as I lost all hope and Spada's barks are so small and high they're the most adorable thing ever. Again, save for Laurens' face.

"Spada, stop it," I said, lifting him off the ground and continue walking in the setting sun. I get a rather stupid idea, but seems nice for the night. However, I need to put Spada back into the tent before I leave. I turned around, forgetting about whatever was walking behind us. I sighed, still carrying Spada, who started barking at the bush. I looked right at it, nothing looking weird or out of place.

"I'm taking you to Burr if you keep barking," I muttered to Spada. He kept barking and I looked at what he was trying to jump to. For the fun of it, I put him down and let him wander to what he was barking at. Spada ran over the bush and growled at it.

"Spada, what is it?" I asked, walking closer. My hands were empty, so I shoved the bush open, in hopes of terrifying whatever was in there. Laurens screamed and I screamed back, stumbling and falling. Spada thought we were playing, so he bounced around.

"Jesus fuck, Lee, what the hell are you doing?" Laurens asked. I got up and rubbed my side painfully.

"I can ask you the same thing," I said. Spada kept running around, trying to play.

"Fine, so we don't tell each other what we are doing in the woods alone," Laurens said, shrugging a bit.

"Hey, I have Spada, I'm not alone."

"You only ever talk to Spada or Burr, you are the definition of alone."

"At least I don't blow people off as soon as I make promises."

"You seriously still can't be pissed about that?"

"No, I'm pissed that you keep doing it," I was getting angrier by the minute. Finally, I realized how close Laurens got to me. Am I blushing or is it really just hot in Philadelphia during January?

"Fine. Meet me in the woods right now, alone. I promise I won't blow you off," Laurens said, closing the space between our chests.

"I'll have to make sure to hold you accountable. Why don't we meet at the lake in 15 minutes?" I said, pulling on his ascot so we were eye level. Laurens pressed a light kiss to my lips and stared right at me.

"It's a date," he said. We separated and looked at the effects we left on each other. Laurens' face was red, much more red than it should be for being cold, and now his ascot was slightly loosened and askew. He bit his lip slightly, and I wondered just how I looked.

"You're so hot when you're angry. I'll see you at the lake," he said, walking off. I made a little wave and picked up Spada to take him to the tent. I almost ran there, but since Laurens was heading in that direction, we couldn't just be walking into camp together then leaving together. So much suspicion would be raised. I finally get to my tent and Burr is waiting outside.

"We need to talk about something," Burr muttered softly so only I could hear.

"I can't, I promise to meet up with someone in a few minutes," I said. We both exchanged a look of "please, I need this".

"...I'll be back soon, you can be with Spada," I said after the silence settled. Burr nodded and gave me a hug before going in my tent. I turned around and started heading to the lake, which Laurens was undoubtedly by. I ran once I passed the camp, hoping I wouldn't be the late one. I passed no one on the trail and got there alone. I waited a few minutes in case Laurens got lost or held up by someone before wondering if he was standing somewhere else.

"John?" I asked, looking around, unsure if I should even say that. It felt natural to say, just perfect, yet it gained no response. After another few minutes, I gave up. I walked back to the camp, purposefully slower than I came, the smallest bit of hope that Laurens would come right as I was leaving. I got back to camp, crossing all the way to the back corner where my tent was. As i passed Laurens, I heard lots of shuffling and muffled shushes. I should've known, I'd never be anything compared to Hamilton. Especially not to Laurens. I kept walking, ignoring all the sounds around me. I finally got back to my tent, Burr still present and flopped onto my cot. Burr let me have my moment of silent crying and letting all my emotions out. Once I stopped, Burr quietly said, "You're bleeding. Quite a bit too."