This can't be happening. I can't be falling for someone. Well, I mean, falling in love seems nice. But no, this is with someone who's taken. This someone is already in love.

And this isn't even the first time it's happened. Fucking Laurens was.

* rewind segment of satisfied *

I smiled as I went up to Laurens tent. I finally gathered the courage to confess my feelings. All these years of wanting to, fighting by his side, it's finally going to happen. I knocked gently on the pole outside his tent. There was a little chatter inside. I didn't know he had someone over. The most detestable face opened the flap of the tent. Alexander Hamilton.

"Lee? What are you doing here?" Hamilton asked. Laurens popped next to him, equally confused. I noticed a darkened patch of skin on Laurens's neck. A hickey?

"I just- Where is the general's tent?" I asked, making myself look even more like a fool. It was clear what was going on. I wanted to cry as I walked in the direction they told me. I wasn't paying attention as I ran into someone.

"Ahh, sorry, sorry," I apologized. I looked up and saw General Washington, dusting off his shirt. I felt even worse now.

"Hey, it's okay- Are you crying, Lee?" he asked, softly. I put my hand to my face and sure enough, there were tears.

"No," I tried to pass it off. He shook his head and tried to grab the paper in my hands. I pulled it back and stuffed it in my pocket.

"Lee, you are clearly upset. Be at my tent in 5 minutes with that paper, but you may want to take a breather in your tent," Washington said, walking away.

"Yes sir," I muttered before going back to my tent. I looked in the small mirror I had and I looked like a mess. I quickly finger-combed my hair to look neater and wiped my face of excess tears.

After I was sure 5 minutes had passed, I went to the general's tent and knocked on the pole, glancing around to make sure no one saw me. Especially him.

"Come in, Lee," Washington's voice called. I walked in, and some tall guy brushed right past me.

"See you later, Laf," Washington called. The other guy, Laf waved and left.

"So, want to explain what was going on there?" Washington asked, clearly concerned. I tried to speak, but none of the right words found their way out. Was I really going to try to out myself to the general? No, I wasn't.

"Lee?" Washington asked.

"Oh, it was nothing serious, sir," I stated.

"Well, I was looking for you anyway. We both know you have quite the military experience," Washington stated. I nodded, quite nervous. Could he be firing me?

"Well, I believe it would be appropriate for you to become my second-in-command," he said, looking down at me. A promotion? I doubt I could handle the stress-

"If it seems I am the most viable option, I don't see a reason to say no. But what about Hamilton? He would love a position like this," I said, trying to pass it off. Who better than Washington's right-hand man?

"He doesn't have your experience nor expertise. Besides, his wife wrote me a letter about her unborn child," Washington said, waving a folded paper.

"Sir, even if he has an unborn child, he'd love the position, haven't you seen him? He basically asks you daily for the position," I tried to get the pressure off of myself.

"You said if it seemed like the most viable option, and to me, I'd like someone who knows what he is doing to hold up the position," Washington said.

"Of course, sir, will that be all?" I asked, about to leave.

"No, I would still like to discuss what you were doing around camp," Washington said. I froze, unsure what to do.

"Your excellency, it's a private matter, I'd wish not to disclose it right now," I said, weaseling my way out.

"Alright, you're dismissed," Washington said as he gathered the papers around his desk. I took my leave as fast as possible. As soon as I left the tent, I bumped into Aaron, who looked worried. It was dark out, making me wonder how long I was discussing with the General.

"There you are, I know it's late, but I have something to discuss with you," he said, tugging me to my tent. I felt confused, Aaron always waits till morning to discuss things if they happen late at night.