XI

"You are so lucky Kazan." Morrisa shoved the man to the side, making him nudge into a nearby table.

"Did you really think they'd kick me out?" Kazan replied. "I'm too good to be let go."

"Your ego amuses me, you're just lucky Korra saved you yesterday." Morrisa huffed. "You ought to be more careful too, you hurt her pretty bad."

"I know." He said. "I apologised."

"An apology won't stitch up her cheek."

"Whatever."

"Where is Korra anyway?" Shizuko questioned. She had been searching for the Corporal for quite some time now, curious to see what she was up to. Considering that the Corporal wasn't in the barracks with them right now heightened her curiousity even more.

"She's probably with Lady Sato. She is her personal guard after all." Kazan huffed.

"Korra isn't her personal guard, Asami doesn't have one anymore."Mako piped up. He was tying his boot laces on the seat opposite.

"Then what is she?"

"They're close friends." It was an effort to say but he struggled through it. "Anyway stop asking, it's none of your business."

The three recruits gave eachother a frown before shrugging. Someone's in a bad mood. When the barrack door opened, the trio that walked in caught everyone's attention. Shizuko was the first to get up yet she stopped herself once she saw a tray in Korra's hand. A tray of food?

Mako finished tying his lace and got up when Korra walked over, leaving the other two by the door. "Are we ready to go or did you miss breakfast?" He asked and pointed to the tray.

"We need to take these to Shady Shin and Desna." She replied.

Mako rolled his eyes. "How long will that take?"

"Why, are they frustrating you already?" Korra asked, lowering her volume a little once she looked over to the recruits. They were laughing together, though she did meet eyes with Shizuko. Their stare didn't even last another second because Korra looked away first.

Mako shrugged. "It's nothing."

A chuckle left Korra's lips. "We won't be long." She left after that with Kai and Kuvira following.

When the door closed, Mako frowned once he saw Kazan beside him. Questions incoming. "Who's Shady Shin and Desna?"

"Just some Red Lotus members. The last of them." Mako replied.

"Where are they being held?"

Mako quickly looked over to Morrisa. "Why do you need to know?"

"It's nothing.." Morrisa gulped. "I would've thought they'd be executed by now..."

"We're not like the Red Lotus." He answered. "They were a bunch of falsifiers working for a liar, killing without reason. Barbaric." He muttered but the others heard it just fine.

Kazan raised a brow. "But Korra was an assassin wasn't she?"

"It took a long time for me to accept that but she's done so much for this town. She's earned a lot of respect." Corporal Faustino could feel the frustration begin to build up. He didn't know how many more questions he could take.

"I see."

Mako sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. The two recruits were laughing to themselves, finally giving the Corporal's headache a rest. Wait... "Where's Shizuko?"

<->

"Are you sure you want to come with us Kai?"

Kai would've pushed Kuvira and laughed but, the tray in her hands made him reconsider. "I wouldn't of said yes Kuvira if I didn't want to come. Besides I've been cooped up in that workshop for too long."