VIII

It almost felt like she was being escorted to a less populated area to be scolded. Like her younger days when her mother was living and breathing. She would've done something rash in child innocence, not knowing the difference between right and wrong and ended up with a broken vase. Korra would've forgotten the lecture she got from her mother then, but oh how she wished she could hear her mother's voice once more, even if it was Senna screaming at the top of her lungs.

Korra shivered which instantly shook away the memories. She wasn't used to the thinness of the Corporal uniform, her old clothes were warmer and thicker. They may not of looked pretty but they kept her alive long enough. Now with her new one, looking pretty was the only thing it was good for. Made to perfection, sharp edges and a grey material. It fit her perfectly from cuff to collar but it wasn't warm. Korra took a glance out the nearest fogged up window.

The clouds were the kind of grey that would make any quarry rock proud, as if they were so pleased to echo the earth. All the grey, all that swirling water in the sky, condensation was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

It was getting a little colder, perhaps she would need to stop by her room and grab her coat considering that she would be going outside soon.

The Corporal paid attention to Asami's each step, the clicks of her heels gradually getting louder as the halls seemed to get emptier and emptier the more they walked. Was she in trouble? She shouldn't be, Korra couldn't think of anything that she had done wrong this morning. Or perhaps Asami wasn't happy about the fact that she had woken up alone.

As the two begun to climb the stairs, Korra wondered where they were going. Were they retreating to their bedrooms or having a serious talk in some office that Korra hadn't explored yet? No matter where, Korra couldn't help but feel a little intimidated by Asami's expression and attitude. Something had really ticked her off.

"Where were you this morning?"

Korra jumped at Asami's sudden speech. "I just got up a little earlier to begin training." A lie of course, but did she really need to worry Asami about the real reason? "Did you want me to wake you up?"

Asami sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "No it's alright. I was just a little worried."

Korra jogged a little in order to match Asami's pace and walk by her side. "Are you alright? You seem agitated."

The Sato looked left and right, in front of her and behind her. There were too many people around, she couldn't talk here. "Let's go somewhere with less noise."

"How about my room? I need to pick something up from there anyway." Korra suggested.

"I'm okay with that."

They walk the rest of the way in silence. Only because Korra didn't want to accidentally ignite something within Asami. She knew the Sato was angry with something. Everything seemed to get quieter when the two entered Korra's room. As if everything around them simply floated away and it was just the two of them.

Asami sighed again and let herself fall flat out onto Korra's bed, eyes gazing up to the ceiling. Even though it was only the morning, Asami looked exhausted.

"So... what's going on?" Korra asked, debating whether she should sit down next to her. Asami was quite... scary when she was angry.

"Have you seen that man, quite old in his days and he always sits near the fruit stand in the market?" She asked, eyes still looking up at the ceiling.

"Yes... I think." Korra replied. "Isn't he homeless?"

"Indeed he is and he's not the only one either. There's been an increase lately."