ChloePOV: Son of God

"That's Paolucci's car just like his GPS said," Chloe observed as she looked across the road.

"The bar is closed," Lucifer's voice came from behind her.

They were at the Paddock, having tracked down Anthony Paolucci, now that their other murder case was solved. Chloe still wasn't happy about the way Lucifer had broken Dr. Medina's arm, or maybe it was just how easily he'd done it that she didn't like. It reminded her once again just how strong he was, in an only slightly terrifying way. He stopped himself before he'd done any real damage, but she knew he'd chosen to do that. If one day something happened and he chose differently there really wouldn't be anything she could do about it. She wasn't used to not being in control.

Still, one problem at a time. Chloe went to look through the Paddock window, but turned when she heard the sound of a door opening.

"It was unlocked," Lucifer defended his actions.

What they found upon entering the building was exactly the opposite of what Chloe expected. It looked like Anthony had shot himself in the head. Chloe called it in and then sat down to wait for back up to arrive. Putting her phone away, she turned around, and there was the Devil pouring himself a drink.

"What?" Lucifer said as she narrowed her eyes at him. "We're waiting for backup right? Best way to kill time in my experience." He indicated the glass by lifting it slightly.

"What does killing time look like for an immortal anyway?" Chloe asked. "Doesn't ten years just feel like a second to you?"

"Quite the opposite actually," Lucifer replied.

"This is a crime scene," Chloe reminded him. "It's no place to be drunk."

"Really, Detective?" Lucifer said in a mocking tone. "Have you ever actually seen me drunk?"

She stopped and thought for a moment before replying. "Well technically, no," she answered. "But I've seen you drink, like a lot."

"Yes, but I don't get drunk, do I?" Lucifer explained. "Quite frankly, I can't. Angelic metabolism and all that. I drink because I like the taste."

"Wait, so you can't get drunk?" Chloe asked. "Like physically?"

"Well I guess that's not as true now as before," Lucifer said. "Been managing a tiny bit of a buzz since that whole bleeding incident but it's touch and go. Haven't actually managed to get drunk yet."

"Huh," Chloe replied. She wasn't really sure what to do with that. If you couldn't get drunk then what was the harm in alcohol, actually? Wasn't it just like really strange tasting water without the intoxication part?

"Oh any news back on that key we found?" Lucifer asked, taking another sip of his apparently harmless bourdon.

"I sent it in myself," Chloe said. "But no clean prints."

"Would have been too easy," Lucifer said cheerfully. "If the dirty cop had just left their prints for us to find."

"I suppose," Chloe said. "Sometimes easy is good though, if it's true."

"You really are all about honesty aren't you, Detective?" Lucifer said, thoughtfully, or as thoughtfully as the Devil could manage.

"It's the foundation of every kind of relationship," Chloe replied.

"Is that why you seem okay with me then?" Lucifer asked. "Because I'm honest with you?"

"Part of it," Chloe replied, suspiciously. "Haven't we been through this already?"

"Just following up," Lucifer said, raising his hands in an almost surrendering gesture.

Was he waiting for her to suddenly change her mind and freak out? Hell and heaven were real and her partner was immortal. Yes, it was a lot to wrap her head around, but she thought she was managing quite well all things considered! She did sometimes wish she had someone else other than Lucifer to talk to about this though.