[23] Sky Peace

When you woke up tucked in a bed in a room you weren't familiar with, it was understandable that you had started to freak out.

"[Y/n], it's alright, you're safe."

Kurapika's voice was soft and even-tempered, and as you sat up you remembered the previous night's events. On impulse, you tried using en . . . Only to still be met by nothing. Looking back up, you didn't miss the somber look on Kurapika's face, as beautiful as it was sad. Immediately, your alarms raised.

"What happened while I was out?"

You swung your legs over the edge of the bed, but didn't stand up. Instead, you patted the space next to you, happy when Kurapika actually sat down.

". . . The Troupe is dead. They were all killed last night."

It was easy to think that you had misheard him; it was a sentence you never thought you would hear. Coming from Kurapika of all people, though, drove home that he was being one hundred percent serious. Even then, though... That wasn't something you could just believe. You had witnessed their strength firsthand, had literally died at the hands of one of them!

Arguments bubbled up the back of your throat, but this was clearly not a conversation that Kurapika wanted to talk about as he changed the subject, pulling out his phone and showing you a text message that Gon had sent him, telling him to meet up with them at the D-park Garden and that, if you were with him, to bring you along, too. The message was short and sweet, and you found yourself start to smile.

"Since when did he start calling you 'older sister'?"

A pang of annoyance shot through you, but you managed to stay patient as you responded. "A while ago — not that you would know, since you've been avoiding us all."

Okay, maybe not as patient as you meant to be.

Seeing him flinch didn't bring you satisfaction, though. Vengeance and pettiness truly wasn't in your nature, it seemed, but that didn't mean you could just let Kurapika off the hook for all of the things he had said.

Before he could apologize again, you stood up, back to business. "Let's go, then, and stop wallowing in your self-pity." You looked down at your clothes, and then over to the pile of bloody and torn clothes that you had discarded last night. ". . . If you want to make it up to me, then buy me a pair of pants that actually fit on our way there."

Kurapika did, in fact, buy you a plain outfit so you didn't have to wear his clothes. It was a quick, five-minute shopping trip that was just you picking up a few things and calling it good without looking at anything else — weirdly enough, he seemed relieved. Did he expect you to spend an hour trying on shirts, or something?

Getting to the park, you were glad to see Gon and Killua messing around, having some sort of eating contest before you and Kurapika had arrived. Gon, seeing you two first, immediately spat out his mouth full of food on Killua as he tried to call out to you and Kurapika. The scene was so ridiculous you couldn't help but start giggling, even more so as Killua got his payback in the form of smashing a frosted cupcake in Gon's face.

What was really worth it, though, was seeing Kurapika laugh at the scene before the two of you, as Gon and Killua began to goof around. In a time where carefree moments like this were sparse...

It warmed your heart.

"We should all meet up," you suggested to Kurapika. "We're still missing two people of our group."

Your words confused the blond. "'Two'?" He echoed, and you remembered that he had no clue that Hanzo was helping you.

Sighing, you averted your eyes from him, watching after Gon and Killua. "It's . . . a long story."