[21] Blue Reverse Card

It was strange, dreaming about the Kurta village and having it not be a nightmare. It was almost too good to be true, but you knew it was just that — a dream. You weren't sure how long this would last, but soon, you'd have to go back to the real world and face the cruel reality. Your chest ached at the thought — from the emotion, or having your heart ripped out, you weren't sure.

"[Y/n], sweetie, did you really have to go that far?"

Your mother, as kind and sweet as always, was giving you a disapproving look that made you cringe slightly. You may be an adult, but that look made you feel like a ten-year-old again.

Giving your mother a sheepish shrug, you let her lead you down the village path and towards the cemetery. It looked much better maintained, flowers weaving all of the headstones. The two of you stopped at your family headstone, and you crouched in front of it, fingers tracing the names of your deceased loved ones.

". . ."

Your mother sighed, sitting next to you and pulling you in for a hug, resting her chin on top of your head. "You've lived a hard life so far. I wish you could have had better, and I'm sorry that it has been rough on you." Her voice was full of regret, and you stayed quiet, listening to her continue. ". . . My butterfly, you don't need to avenge us. Please don't feel obligated to spend your life chasing phantoms of the past. I may be dead, but I still feel as if you're always going to give me a heart attack."

Her voice turned wry, and you didn't move at all when you spoke, voice meek. "What else do I have, then? If I don't stop them... Who will?"

Pulling away from you, your mother fixed you with a stern gaze, [e/c] eyes much like your own. "[Y/n] [L/n]," she started, "don't even start that. You have wonderful friends, two parents who adopted you and took you in, and a great mentor. You've made mistakes, but I couldn't be prouder of you. It is not your responsibility to chase down a group of highly dangerous criminals."

Shoot. Your eyes were tearing up, and your mother's gaze immediately softened as she pulled you into a tight hug, threading her fingers through your hair. The wordless action had broken the dam as you started to sob in your mother's arms, clinging on tightly as if she would dissipate under your touch.

"Shh, shh, it's alright. It's alright."

She began to hum a tune you vaguely remembered, a Kurtan lullaby from your childhood. The sound brought a painful wave of nostalgia and yearning to you, but it worked wonders in calming your hysterics. When you had finished sobbing, you pulled away and wiped your eyes, still sniffling.

"So... What — what now?"

Your mother clicked her tongue, looking off towards the empty village. "You'll have to go back. Your time isn't up yet, little butterfly."

"What about you?"

A sigh. "Perhaps... It's time for me to move on, as well. I know you'll do just fine from here on out." Your eyes dropped to the ground, and your mother tilted your head back up, giving you a sad smile as she met your eyes. "[Y/n]... Live your life. Don't let fear or anger control and dictate yourself. As long as you don't let those control you, you will never lose control. Do you understand?"

You gave her a hesitant nod. "I . . . I think so."

The bright smile she gave you had your heart hurt again, and you felt your eyes tear up once more as she pulled you in for a last hug, pressing her lips to the crown of your head.

"Goodbye, little butterfly."

And with that she was gone in the wind, as if she had never been there. You sat in front of the grave for a moment, allowing yourself to cry and mourn them for the last time.