[19] Morning Suspicions

Your head was pounding by the time you came to, as if somebody had tried bashing it in with a hammer. Blearily, you blinked, the world swaying around you. It was like a hungover, but without the fun, 'getting drunk' part.

You felt like you were going to throw up.

"Are you awake now?"

Your brain felt sluggish, and you attempted to move only to find that your arms were tied taut behind your back, straining your shoulders. You had slept sitting up, and that had left a crick in your neck as well; that, paired with your cottonmouth and the searing migraine, worked to disorient you. For a moment, you couldn't even find the voice that spoke, and it chuckled, almost disembodied as somebody crouched in front of you.

Recognizing the pale skin and slicked-back hair, you groaned and smashed your head backwards into the wall you were propped up against. It didn't nothing to soothe your headache, but it certainly helped snap everything into place as the world around you became crystal clear.

You didn't recognize your surroundings — more likely than not, Chrollo had taken you back to their base. It was safe to assume you were pretty far from York New City.

Eyes darted around the room you were held hostage in, taking it in. It was small with no windows, and the only piece of furniture in it was a cot that had certainly seen better days.

Somebody cleared their throat — not Chrollo. Your gaze landed on the blond from before, the one you had been so close to killing, and he had a bright smile on his face that seemed at war with the depressing and dark atmosphere. "You're not going to be able to escape."

Maybe not right now, but you would make it out of here. This wasn't where your path was going to end.

When you didn't respond, instead just glowering at Chrollo, he sighed almost comically, as if you were a toddler throwing a fit rather than an adult being held hostage.

"[Y/n]," he started, "I'm hurt that you didn't remember me."

"I remember everything," you hissed, glowering. You weren't angry enough to lose control, and so your eyes stayed their keen [e/c], much to Chrollo's disappointment. "I remember you tricking me into wanting to join The Phantom Troupe on my birthday... All the time I spent with you, and Pakunoda, and Nobunaga..." Your voice cracked, but your glare was unwavering, a scorching fire in your irises.

Chrollo seemed amused by your little tirade. "Do you remember confessing to me?"

This got you to falter, and he gripped your chin lightly, tilting your head up so he could get a better look at you.

"I wonder... Do you still have feelings, even now?"

The disgust that pooled in your gut was too immense for you to even begin dissecting it. Instead, as Chrollo ran his thumb over your lip, you leaned forward and bit down.

Hard.

He withdrew his hand casually, inspecting the bleeding wound. You hoped he needed stitches. Asshole.

Chrollo's smile was gone, his expression lifeless and stony, as if he were carved from marble instead of a real person. "I was lenient on you once before," he murmured, resting his uninjured hand underneath his chin. "Perhaps too lenient. Your hatsu is too useful to kill you, however... So I'll give you a choice.

"You can either willingly join The Phantom Troupe, or we can force you to."

Some choice, you thought bitterly. Out loud, you spat, "Over my dead body."