chapter four ▹ the sorting hat.

two updates within three hours omg, who held nish hostage? 

┌───────────────────┐
chapter four: the sorting hat
word count: 3.5K
warnings: writing that isn't proof-read!
└───────────────────┘

"IT'S NOT REAL, THE CEILING." Hermione explained Azalea as they walked into the Great Hall, endless chatter sounding around them. "It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." 

Castor, who heard the last part, smiled once he realized he wasn't the only one who had read the book. 

Draco just rolled his eyes, though he wished that he could've said it first. 

McGonagall led the first-years towards the front of the Great Hall towards a podium where a ragged looking hat sat on a stool. It was brown and had creases which roughly resembled a face, and looked quite old. 

"Will you wait along here, please?" McGonagall asked — stated — before stopping in front of the podium, facing the children, the scroll still in her hands. "Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

A man with a long, silver white beard and similar hair rose from the table, a blue pointed hat on his head.

Azalea immediately recognized him as Albus Dumbledore, the man whose picture had been on the card she found in her Chocolate Frog. 

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," he said, gesturing towards an old, rather sullen looking man with a cat in his hands. The cat had red, gleaming eyes and looked quite scary, "has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death." 

While Dumbledore presumed that the children might look scared by the last statement, most of them only looked bewildered, some of them questioning their decision of agreeing to attend Hogwarts.

"Thank you." Dumbledore completed his speech.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." McGonagall instructed after the headmaster sat down. "But first, the hat has something to say. . ." 

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,