Chapter 19

~Present Day, June, 2010~

Elle's POV

She wakes me up with a kiss to my temple. I nuzzle my head against her chest, naked limbs intertwined beneath the skewed blankets. Last night, Carli surprised me with an early anniversary gift—her, naked despite a scrap of lingerie, lounging in our bed with a few things in easy reach.

We made love until dawn. Round after round, she shattered me, over and over and over. And I ruined her, broke her down piece by piece until there was nothing she hid from me, wanted to hide from me, until she gave me her body and placed her heart in my hands.

It's the middle of the week, but Hotch doesn't expect us at work today. When we left the office yesterday he told us to take the day to spend with each other. I barely had the time to thank him before Carli pulled me out the door.

Today marks three years of our relationship. Since the bomb at Washington Victors, at least. Five years, I've known her—most of which I've loved her.

The sun is well up by the time we leave sleep behind. Carli stretches her arms back, sitting up and pulling me into her lap. She sits with her legs in a V and I squirm in between, my legs hooked around her waist. We're both naked, our bodies pressed together, her bare chest touching mine. I smile, my thumb brushing the corner of her mouth.

"Happy anniversary, baby," I whisper.

I've grown used to the fear in her eyes. I see it constantly, a frantic look back towards me, jerking awake at an ungodly hour to make sure I'm safe and sound beside her.

But right now, it's not fear. It's raw, uncontained love.

She turns her head, lips caressing my thumb, as she whispers back. "Three years..." she breathes. Her hand slides up to the side of my neck, her fingers twisting my hair. "I want all of them."

Then marry me.

I'm not sure where the thought comes from. I pull back, hands on her face, squeezing a little harder. Her smile slants to the side, eyes teasing.

"Elle?" She leans in, lips nearly touching mine. "What are you thinking in that pretty little head of yours?"

I run a thumb across her cheekbone, imagining what it would be like. To call her my wife.

I want it. I want her.

I smile, feeling her do the same against my mouth. I draw her in for a slow kiss. "I'm thinking," I murmur, "about all the things I want to do with you today."

She pulls away to look into my eyes. Slowly, so slowly, she takes my hand in hers, kissing each fingertip. She gets to my thumb, her tongue flicking over the skin. I don't move, even as I get the urge to push my thumb into her mouth, to get a preview of what her tongue will do to me.

She stops just short of me grabbing her by the throat. Her hand plays with mine, skin to skin, fingers splayed. I lean closer, waiting for her to kiss me, waiting to taste her. She draws me in, lips capturing mine. The gentleness only lasts for a moment. Her hand squeezes mine as her kisses grow rougher, her tongue surging into my mouth and her lips pulling at mine. She nips my bottom lip and I let out a quiet sound that only encourages her. She moves to my jaw, my neck, the spot below my ear. She doesn't let go of my hand, the other tracing the inside of my thigh. Heat grows between my legs and I roll my hips into hers. She smiles against my neck where her teeth and tongue are doing plenty of work to leave me marked.

"Impatient, are we?" she mutters, amusement in her tone and the way her tongue flicks over my skin. The only response I manage is a soft moan into her ear. I lean my head against her shoulder and Carli sweeps my hair aside to give herself more access.