Chapter 13

~Present Day, May, 2010~

Carli's POV

For the half hour before Elle calls me, I think I lose my mind. I pace the apartment, crying, cursing, trying to call her over and over again. I turn on the news and see coverage of the explosion. Once I realize it was at the hotel and not on the road, I manage to breathe again. Still, until I hear her voice again, it's like the world has ripped apart at the seams.

And if that's what it's like to even think she's hurt, I have no idea what I'd ever do if something happened to her.

But I do know that Murphy knows about her. And he knows that he could destroy me with her.

And for the first time, I truly want him dead.

So I do what I did last time—fifteen years ago. The pier hasn't changed. The same wooden slats, cement blocks, iron benches. The same ocean. A full moon that shines like a spotlight as I walk to the same spot he found me all those years ago. I lean against the railing in my leather jacket, experiencing true deja vu.

But this time, I've killed before. And this time, I'm not alone. I have someone I love. And I will not let him take her away from me.

I'm not sure if I hear him or sense him. But he appears, like he always does. I don't turn to look at him. I stare into the darkness before me, the ocean waves silver beneath the moonlight.

"You really are a fool," I say to the water, "if you expect to leave this meeting alive."

Murphy leans against the railing beside me. He turns to look at me, but I don't react. "You are just as beautiful as you were the last time," he says. His voice rings through my head, bringing back memories I've worked hard to bury.

I aim my gun at his temple as I finally turn to face him. He's aged so much in prison. His face is gaunt, his jawline slackened. His blue eyes are sharp and cold, no smile lines creasing them. His hair is a dark brown that sweeps into his eyes. But he's clean. Dressed in clothes no fugitive could afford. Wearing a gold ring I've never seen before.

His smile is charming, in the way that if I don't look directly at him he might be a friend. But I see the cruelty behind it. The hatred he regards me with. I know it's mirrored in my own eyes.

"Now don't be rash," he says smoothly.

I cock my gun. "What's keeping me from taking you out, here and now."

"Your sanity."

There is no warmth in my smile. "We can agree I lost that a long time ago."

Sam laughs. "No, Carli. You may be broken, but you're still alive." He pauses, leaning into the barrel of my gun. "I believe she helped with that."

It takes everything in me to keep my hand from trembling. "If you touch her," I snarl, "I will tear you apart."

"I'm surprised, if I'm being honest," he goes on, seemingly unconcerned about the gun. "That you found someone to love you."

"You mean someone other than you," I spit. "Someone who isn't a monster."

He takes a lunging step towards me and I back up. "I'm the monster?" he says. "Then what does that make you?"

I grab his collar, pulling him towards me and pressing my gun to his forehead. "I'm the monster killer."

"No." He smiles at me. "No, you're responsible. For all of their deaths. They're on you."

"Shut up."

"You killed them, Carli," he laughs. "You're no better than me!"

"Stop!" I shove him back. "Stop before I kill you."