Chapter 4

You waited around, watching nature move around you as you listened to the mumbles and the nothings spoken of your high friends. You kept a close eye on Dani, wanting to make sure she was okay through her trip. For two hours she was just sitting and sighing, however, she suddenly stood and you looked confused at her. You could hear her breathing and she looked terrified.

"Dani?" you asked.

"Sorry" she mumbled, her voice sounded full of worry and tears. "I am going to go for a walk"

"I can walk to" you said, standing.

"Oh, no I'm good" she mumbled.

You watched Dani walk, worried and suddenly she broke into a run toward the outhouse. After a short while, she ran out and collapsed on the grass. Quickly you got up and ran to her, she looked flat out and you checked her pulse and rolled her over so that she wasn't face down on the ground but rather on her side. Ingemar joined you and together you put her onto a blanket so she would be more comfortable

You sat with her as the day carried on and the sun started to set and people started to pack up their bags, the high having worn off. You looked down at Dani and sore her stirring slightly.

"Hey" you murmured. "Happy Birthday Dani"

"How long did I sleep?" Dani asked, slowly getting up "And thank you" she said to you wishing you a happy birthday". Christian answered before you could and you rolled your eyes.

"I mean, we found you here six hours ago" Christian said.

"Did it get dark at all?" she asked.

"For a couple of hours, but not completely" Christian explained.

"Is it tomorrow?" Dani asked, blinding slightly in confusion.

"I mean, from yesterday's perspective" he said. You shot him an annoyed look for being so vague. "Come on"

"Where are we going?" Dani asked, Christian, helping her up.

"What we came to do," Ingemar explained.

Dani nodded and slightly stumbled as she got up, blinking in confusion. You passed Dani her bag you had looked after and together you set off toward the village with the group which had grown.

You and Dani walked at the end of the group, Dani still being tired from collapsing, you, of course, being worried for her, stayed behind as Christian, Mark and Josh walked ahead.

You walked in silence, Dani wracked with thoughts about what happened, not remembering anything since she had taken the drugs. You were worried about her and would keep an eye on her throughout the time you would spend in the village.

Finally, after half an hour of walking, you walked through a large golden archway and into a beautiful clearing. Villagers stood to welcome you, some playing instruments while others came toward you, ready to welcome you to Hårga.

"So this is the place" Christian said.

"The tranquil and majestic Hårga" Pelle said, he sounded happy and at home.

You looked around in wonder at the clearing and at the mountains in the distance, this place was beautiful and you felt a wave of calmness flood you.

A group of villagers came up to you and gave you strawberries while taking your bags. You smiled, having the weight of the bags released from you and eating the sweet strawberries.

You met Father Odd and Palla's sister, being welcomed so warmly into the village. Together you walked toward a stage and stood next to Dani as a woman started to address the crowd in Swedish but then changed to English, welcoming you and the other visitors to Hårga and the Midsommar celebrations. You were given a glass of what seemed like alcohol and drank it as they toasted the beginning of the nine-day feasting. The drink was sweet sherry, it was delicious and you smiled, being fully relaxed and happy.

The start of the celebrations began with two elderly people being given a burning torch and then dancing started. You sat down with the rest of the group, watching as they carried on dancing, which you found out to be a game called skin the fool.

Christian and Ryan joined the dancing as you sat, content in the sun, you looked around when you heard Dani's name. Pelle had given Dani a gift of a drawing for her birthday, it was beautiful and detailed, depicting her in a flower crown. You leaned over and smiled at it, as Dani explained Christian had forgotten her birthday and it wasn't his fault. This annoyed you, Christian did not deserve Dani and she just blamed herself for his awful behaviour.

Dani looked at the picture for a little longer before putting it in her pocket which allowed you to take out your gift and nudge her. "Hey Dani, I got you something for your birthday" you said.

Dani grinned. "Oh, you didn't have to" she said.

"I needed to" you said, giving her a little box. Slowly she opened it and saw the locket you had got her. Immediately she smiled widely, taking it out of the box. The design was quite simple, made from gold, and inside was a picture of herself and you which was taken on her last birthday, you both looked so happy, your arms around each other and your cheeks red from alcohol.

Slight tears started to fall from her face and she grinned, "I don't know what to say" she said quietly.

Your heart beat, worried that she did not like your gift. "Do you like it?" you asked, worried.

"I really do (y/n)" she said, putting it around her neck. She pulled you into a hug and you held each other for a little while. "Thank you for everything"

You grinned widely and lent your head against hers slightly. You felt so happy but the moment was broken by Christian who had returned, Dani immediately let go of you and looked at Christian who was grinning slightly.

"What's that?" Christian asked Dani, seeing the locket.

"Oh, it was a gift from (y/n)" Dani explained.

"It's weird to give gifts now" Christian said.

Dani opened her mouth but closed it again. "I guess so, yes" she said. You scowled, annoyed that Christian didn't take the hint, instead, he started chatting with Mark and Ryan.