Chapter 1

You woke to your phone ringing and picked it up. It was your best friend Dani. Quickly you put it up, knowing about what was happening with her family and her mental health.

"Hey Dani" you said sleepily.

"Oh god (y/n) did I wake you?" she asked.

"No, don't worry" you said. "I'm awake, what's happening?"

"It's Chris" she said. "I think he hates me"

"What?" you asked, confused.

"It's in his tone, like, you can hear it in his voice" Dani replied, she sounded sad. "It's like he's working up the nerve to say something"

"I would suggest confronting him about it" you said, this had been going on for a while and you wanted Dani safe and loved. You knew Christian was bad for her ever since you met him, and that's not because you have always had a crush on Dani.

"What if I've scared him though?" Dani asked, making you roll your eyes. "I'm always roping him into my family crap"

"How do you rope him in?" you ask.

"I'm always leaning on him!" she said. "Like I even called him today in years because my sister wrote another stupid scary email"

"That's what he's there for Dani" you said

"What if I'm scaring him off?" Dani asked.

"What did your sister write?" you asked

"Umm" she mutters, swallowing something. "Just some ominous bullshit like she always does and it's torture and I lean on him constantly for support. Like what if I've overwhelmed him and he thinks that I just have too much baggage" Dani vented.

"Well if that is the case then good riddance" you said

"No, not if I leaned too far, if I leaned too much." Dani said. You hated when Dani tried to make excuses for Christian, he was a dickhead.

"You didn't! He should be there for you when you need him" you explained.

"yeah but what if I need him too often and it becomes a chore?" Dani asked, making you roll your eyes again.

"then he is not the right guy" you said flatly. "because it should never be a chore. Would it be a chore if he leaned on you?"

"yeah but he doesn't ask me for anything" Dani said. "I've never even seen him cry, so I'm the only one who is leaning."

"or the only one opening up" you said "the only one who is making yourself vulnerable."

"God, (y/n) I got to go" Dani said.

"What's happening?" you asked.

"Someone is calling, I'll talk to you later" she said hurriedly.

"Oh, okay, I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

"Yes" Dani said. "I'll call you back"

She put the phone down and you sighed. Christian didn't deserve Dani, she was so much better than him and she deserved so much more. You waited the entire night for Dani to phone back but she did not so in the morning you went to her house. You were worried for Dani, wanting to make sure your best friend was okay.

You drove to her house and knocked on the door to see Christian. You hid your annoyance and smiled. "Hey, is Dani in?" you asked.

"Um, yeah she is" Christian said. "But" he cringed slightly. "She is in a state, her sister killed herself and her parents"

"Oh my god" you mumbled, tears filling your eyes. You knew the family from school and now they were dead. You put your hand to your mouth and your mind went blank, you had to see Dani, comfort her.

"You should probably not come in" Christian said, making you glare at him.

"I need to see her" you said and went past him and gently knocked on her bedroom door.

"Chris?" Dani asked.

"No its (y/n)" you called. "May I come in?"

"Yeah" Dani said. You opened the door to see Dani laying on her bed in the fetal position.

"Hey Dani" you said gently, "I just came because you didn't ring back as you said. Oh god I am so sorry"

You heard sobbing and your heart broke for her. "Is it my fault?" she asked quietly, turning to you.

"No, no of course it isn't" you said soothingly. "May I hug you?" Dani nodded and you sat on the bed and pulled her into a massive hug, gently rocking her. "Look Dani, this was never your fault, don't ever think so, okay"

"But if I had gone to check on my parents" Dani stuttered, sobbing.

"Dani, they live an hour away" you said gently. "Look, Dani darling" Dani smiled slightly at the nickname which you had called her since you had become best friends. "This is never your fault, your sister needed help and she did not have it." you sighed. "I remember first meeting your parents, remember when they thought we were dating and you had to tell them we weren't and it got into a running joke?"

Dani giggled slightly, sighing at the memory.

"Please, do one thing for me" you said. "Never carry the guilt of something you did not do, okay? This was not your fault"

Dani nodded and you both looked up to see Chris at the door. "Hey babe" he said gently.

"Where are you going?" Dani asked, the grief was evident in her voice.

"I was just going to go to that party for 45 minutes, but you can stay here" he said, you glared at him, how could he go to a party in a time like this? When his girlfriend had lost her family the night before.

"No, no" she said. "I will come with you, and (y/n) also" Dani looked at you as she said it and you nodded.

You sighed, this guy did not deserve Dani, but together you got into Chris' car and went to the party. You hoped Dani would be okay and kept looking at her from the back seat. She stared out of the window for the entire drive and said nothing. You wished you could help her, to make her feel better. You shook your head. You could date Dani, you were not in her league. You sighed and looked out of the window, watching the streets go past.