Chapter 55

—Teddy POV—

"You like billywigs? Their flittering is annoying, how come you like them?"

"Well, I did read that when they sting you, you start floating! Wouldn't that be something?"

"Eh..."

"It could help you finally play quidditch. Y'know, if you have an allergic reaction, you could float forever!"

I sighed, and Victorie giggled. I rested my hand on the soft grass I was sitting on with her as she leaned into my shoulder and interlaced her arm with mine. The grey sky above us was outlined with darker grey clouds, slowly traveling along it. It was like time stood still.

Care of Magical Creatures passed by in the blink of an eye. Victorie and I mostly stayed seated in the grass for a while, staring up at the endless sky and talking about nothing in particular. I would lean on her head as she leaned on me, and I would always be hit with the strawberry scent her hair always carried. I would run my fingers through her hair, appreciating how soft it was, but really, she was soft all over. I'd never felt anything like it.

Once the bell rang, we looked at each other and sighed, getting off the grassy hill we were sitting on. We walked back to the group of students now leaving the class. There were some looks, but nothing I couldn't handle, along with some giggles from the girls. Victorie gave a delicately nervous laugh, and my cheeks grew hot soon after. I felt her fingers brush against mine. I kept my hands at my side, rubbing them against my robe. I exhaled sharply. I hate that sound.

Back in the crowded hallway, me and Victorie walked quietly. It was surprising how jarring it felt with Victorie walking so close to me. Though the rest of my body was cold, I felt warm when Victorie walked at my side. Taking note of the cold weather, I squeezed and rubbed the end of my scarf, then brought my hands up to my face to blow some warm air. Victorie and I settled in a nook before a stairway, where I agreed with Gabriel, Wendy and Bonnie that I would meet them.

"Y'know, your scarf is barely even there... I could have grandmum sew something for you!" Victorie suggested, leaning close to me and looking up at me with eager yet relaxed eyes.

"Oh, I-I'm alright, really," I stuttered, grabbing the ends of my scarf roughly, nearly yanking on them, which made me pull my chin back in surprise, "I heard she's great at making sweaters, though." It took a second before I saw Victorie make an 'O' shape with her mouth and giggle, bending down slightly.

"Don't worry, we are probably going to get an initial sweater too, Ted!" I chuckled, secretly fearing the prospect of wearing that in public. I sighed. We looked at each other for a brief second, before Victorie turned to see her friend who had called out to her from a ways off. I didn't look at them; instead, I inched my hand closer, and closer to hers.

"Teddy, look, it's Gabriel!" I whipped my head around to see where Victorie was facing. I saw Gabriel walking toward us with a half-smile, before he quickly put his head down and briskly made his way towards us.

"Hey!" I looked behind and around him, furrowing my brows upon realizing it was just him.

"Um... Where's Wendy and Bonnie?"

"They said they had some business to take care of. They'll probably be coming in the middle of the task, so they won't get to see everything." He cleared his throat and looked at Victorie, then looked back at me with pursed lips.

"So... Ready?" Me and Victorie nodded, and after a bit, we started walking to the path towards the Black Lake.

Somewhere along the cramped walk, Gabriel leaned into me, clearing his throat.