Chapter 2: Fitting In

Dick sighed with relief as the bell finally rung for if there was as class he loathed more than anything it was English. The Junior teacher at Gotham Academy was so dry and boring honestly thinking that there was only one interpretation of anything they read a.k.a his interpretation. He sprinted out of the class so fast people swore that they saw skid marks from his shoes.

Shortly after Dick got to his car so did Jason who sat up in shotgun.

"Hey Grayson how about I drive today."

"No."

"Oh come on I have my permit, I can drive now." The sophomore responded trying to persuade.

"Yeah but I'm not eighteen so no dice I'm afraid."

"Ugghh fine then let's go pick up the brat then."

Dick merely rolled his eyes at his fellow adopted brother's usual antics. They then drove over to the Gotham Middle School Academy and picked up Tim. As they drove home they argued about the usual things who picked the music in the car, why Jason couldn't drive unless Bruce was in the car, and many other things unaware of the new addition to their home.

After about 15 minutes the boys finally arrived home happy that it was Friday. However when they entered the mansion they noticed something weird it was quiet almost too quiet and Alfred wasn't there to greet them as usual. They didn't know if Bruce was home so they decided to check the one place they thought he would be, the batcave.

They went to the Library where the secret entrance was and then proceeded down the stairs into darkness.

"Bruce are you here?!" Dick called out.

"Bruce!" Jason then called.

They continued down the stairs until they got to the bottom where they found Bruce typing at the batcomputer. He seemed really focused so no wonder he didn't respond when they called out.

"Hey Bruce what are you doing down here?" Tim asked.

Bruce then realized that the boys were in the room causing him to do a bit of a double take. He then breathed deeply figuring they would find out eventually. He then slowly turned his chair and faced the boys.

It took a few moments for all of them to notice the bundle in Bruce's arms but when they did it looked like their eyes would pop out of their skull at any moment.

"Uuuhh BBBruce what is that?" Jason asked afraid of the answer.

Bruce took in another deep breath preparing himself for the explosion that would most likely come from this.

"He is my son."

"What!" All three cried out.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute exactly when have you been "active"?" Jason asked.

His question resulted in him getting slapped on the of the head by Dick. Jason yelled ouch and then rubbed the back of his head while giving Dick an irritated glare.

"So who is the mother?" Tim then asked timidly.

Bruce was a little nervous to tell them who the mother was seeing that it was Talia, a mass criminal, had hurt all of them at some point, and a plethora of stuff but they deserved to know.

"Talia Al Ghul."

"What!" All of them yelled once again.

"You mean to tell me that you hooked up with an assassin from the League of Shadows!" Jason yelled.

"Look I don't know how it happened but somehow it did but I can promise you that I didn't do anything with Talia."

All of them cooled down for a second but they all knew while Bruce did keep a lot of secrets he wouldn't lie about something like this.

"So what's his name?" Dick finally asked.

"His name is Damian, he's about three months from what the letter Talia left said."

"Umm do you mind if I hold him?"

Bruce once again did a double take not quite expecting that.

"Uuuhh sure."

Bruce then cautiously passed over Damian not really wanting to give over the little boy. Dick then took the little baby in his arms looking him over. Damian then started to squirm sensing he wasn't with Bruce anymore but then found that there was comfort in the arms he was in. He quickly settled and grabbed Dicks shirt drawing closer into him.

Dick felt his heart melt and an instant connection to Damian. He also felt protective like he did for all his brothers not willing to let any harm come to them. He gripped Damian tightly not wanting anything to happen to him ever.

"Come on Dick let me see!" Tim demanded.

Dick came out of focus and showed Tim Damian. Tim didn't quite know how to feel but he was excited he wasn't the youngest anymore. Which he hoped would mean no more taunts from Jason, but most likely not.

Jason just rolled his eyes at the sight he didn't get what all the fuss was about. It was just a baby he didn't see what was so fascinating about him.

It was then a surveillance video of the front gardens came on the Batcomputer. They all turned and saw it was Alfred with all the baby supplies they needed. He had bought bottles, diapers, formula, a crib, a changing table, baby clothes, etc. Everyone went upstairs to help even Jason who personally thought this whole ordeal was stupid.

Dick put Damian in the basket he came in and after he did so Damian woke up but he was quite surprisingly. They all noticed quickly as they brought stuff in that Damian was not really a smiley baby because he seemed to just be scowling the entire time. They all figured that since Damian had be so far raised by the League of Shadows he hadn't really been allowed to be a typical happy and giggly baby.

They set up Damian's room in the one closest to Bruce's figuring it would be the best place. After they had set it up Bruce went and retrieved Damian who actually reached up for him when he went to pick him up.

It was quite clear who was Damian's favorite already for it seemed Bruce was the only person who caused Damian to even have a slight smile or look remotely happy. It was even vise versa for Bruce who rarely ever looked Happy himself unless he was faking it while being the playboy Bruce Wayne. Soon Dick tried to take him but Damian refused to let go of Bruce causing Dick to pout a bit.

Bruce smiled as he held his little boy close to him actually happy to have someone like him. Someone who needed him, relied on him, didn't have resentment towards him. It was really quite nice and something he did plan on letting go of.