22

The hot, white sand was even more refreshing as Catherine dragged herself out of the water. The swim over to the island was much longer than she realized it would be. Her muscles burned and her limbs ached. She dropped to the sand, panting heavily. Looking up, she saw Elizabeth already standing on the beach, Jack coming just shortly after.

The pirate turned around, watching the Black Pearl as she began to sail away from the island. "That's the second time I've watched that man sail away with my ship." He panted from the long swim before turning around to walk into the island.

Catherine shared a look with her cousin, both mirroring confused expressions before walking after him.

It finally dawned on her that Jack was in the same position once again. She frowned, feeling sympathy for him. To her, she wondered if he felt any better having company this time. No one wanted to be stranded on an island but, it's better than being alone, she thought.

An overwhelming sensation to comfort him came over her. She wasn't sure what to do, especially with her cousin here with them.

Elizabeth ran up Jack, "You were marooned on this island before. We can escape in the same way." She tried, making the pirate whip around to face them, his normal demeanour long gone.

"To what point and purpose, young missy? The Black Pearl is gone. Unless you have a lot of sails hidden in that bodice...unlikely." He spoke hesitantly for a brief second. "Young Mr. Turner will be dead long before you can reach him." Jack's eyes avoided Catherine entirely, turning around to continue walking through the trees.

Catherine couldn't believe her ears. This was the same man who was making her heart flutter? One who wasn't willing to try anything to help save them from their doom?

She didn't have anything to say.

She didn't know what to say.

All the ranging excitement she had felt was gone from her blood.

So now, all she did was kept quiet and followed, knowing damn well, she was beginning to feel like a complete fool.

Jack reached a tree, knocking on it, as Elizabeth pursued after him, "But you're Captain Jack Sparrow." He began taking long, giant steps, searching for something. "You vanished from under the eyes of seven agents of the East India Company. You sacked Nassau port without a shot." Jack paused, standing on a creaking spot, bouncing on it. Elizabeth stopped before him, "Are you the pirate I've read about or not?"

Is he the pirate I burn for or not? Catherine questioned in her mind.

The next question that came from Elizabeth captured Catherine's attention, "How did you escape the last time?"

The words sat on Jack's lips, a look of almost shame beginning to wash over him, "Last time I was here a grand total of three days. All right? Last time," he moved Elizabeth away, turning around to lift a wooden door open from the ground, "the rumrunners used this island as a cache." He walked down the steps into what looked like a cellar. "They came by, and I was able to barter passage off."

Catherine felt like a blow had made contact in her gut, "What?" She spat out flabbergasted. She wasn't sure what took her back more: his lack of hope or the truth he spoke. He didn't have some daring, days long escape? He took the easy way out, drunk out of his mind?

Jack had lied.

The pirate had lied to her, lied to everyone about the truth of how he escaped the island.

She couldn't believe it, couldn't believe the truth. There was a part of her that knew she shouldn't be surprised but here she was, taken back by this news.