11

"Mr. Gibbs?" Catherine crossed her arms over her chest, peeling her eyes away from the man sleeping with muddy pigs to look at Jack. "This is the person we've come to find?" Her gaze turned back to thick mud that laid before their feet.

"This is the one, how do you know who he is?" Jack raised a brow to her.

Catherine looked to the pirate, taken back by how close they were standing. She blinked. "He used to sail under Norrington years ago. I was only a child then but I've never forgotten Mr. Gibbs."

Jack snorted. "Why is that?"

Her brows furrowed as she found the right words to say. "He's quite...odd."

The pirate blinked, turning back to Mr. Gibbs, giving a frown but nodding. "Agreed. Let's wake him up, shall we?" He gave a wicked grin to Catherine, making her raise an amused brow.

Jack lifted his bucket of water, splashing the liquid all over Mr. Gibbs.

The mud-covered man flinched, waking instantly as it made contact, along with the sleeping pigs. He jabbed out a dagger he held tight in his hand, looking around, shouting, "Curse you for breathing, you slack-jaw idiots!"

Catherine scrunched her face at the man. He had definitely let himself go since she knew him as a child, the insanity, however, seemed to remain. There wasn't a time she didn't have an interesting, to say the least, conversation with the man.

Mr. Gibbs met six eyes, the realization washing over his face. "Mother's love! Jack!" He panted, slipping his dagger away. "You should know better than to wake a man when he's sleepin'. It's bad luck." He grinned.

"Fortunately, I know how to counter it." Jack replied, walking closer to the man. "The man who did the waking buys the man who was a sleeping a drink." He knelt down. "The man who was sleeping drinks it while listening to a proposition from the man who did the waking."

It took Mr. Gibbs a moment to realize what Jack had been saying. A smile grew on his dirt-coated cheeks. "Aye. That'll about do it."

Jack pulled him to his feet as Will lifted a second bucket of water. He splashed the man while Jack stepped away.

Mr. Gibbs shook his head, shouting, "Blast! I'm already awake!"

"That was for the smell." Will replied, cheekily.

Catherine raised a brow, a corner of her mouth turned up. "As if that would mask the odor."

Mr. Gibbs turned his head head to look at the girl, furrowing his brows as he tried to place her. Instantly, his eyes widen. "Catherine Bailey?" His voice was almost a whisper, the shock seeming to take over most of him.

The young woman gave a nod, tightening her arms over her chest. "It's been a long time, Mr. Gibbs." There was a faint sign of kindness in her voice, exhaustion beginning to consume her.

"So it has." The confusion still holding on Mr. Gibbs' face.

~

"Keep a sharp eye." Was all Jack said to Will and Catherine as he passed by with two mugs of rum.

Catherine glanced around at the uttermost chaos that filled the bar they were in. She swallowed, shuffling subtly closer to Will as glass broke, women squealed in delight, and fighting echoed around, with occasional gunshots.

Will kept his guard on, looking rather pale as well from the scene. "Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you."

"Nor I will let anything happen to you." Catherine nodded, trying to remain tough, refusing to let known of terrified she was to be in this place.