13

Catherine tossed and turned the entire night, only falling asleep for a few hours. Her mind buzzed with listless thoughts, most of them about Jack. Elizabeth was a close second, and her parents were the last.

She knew she didn't need to worry about her parents, they were the safest out of everyone she loved and cared for.

The only thing she thought of them was how much she missed them. Part of her knew the longer she'd stay away, the more stories she'd have to share with them. It made her smile to the tan ceiling at the thought of the excitement her father with explode with when she tells him.

A knock on her door caused her to snap her thoughts back to reality.

Silently groaning, she peeled the wool blanket from her body, slipping her bare feet on the wooden floorboards. She reached the door, unlocking it and opening it to reveal Will standing there with a folded napkin in his palm.

"You look terrible." He frowned, looking over her tired features.

Catherine rolled her eyes. "Good morning to you too."

She walked into her room, towards the mirror that hung on her wall while Will came in, shutting the door behind you.

"I take it you didn't sleep well?" He sat on her messy bed, still holding the napkin.

"What makes you say that?" She asked sarcastically, looking into the mirror. Dark circles stained under her eyes, her face was pale, she did look terrible. "I couldn't shut my mind off." Every word she spoke came out soft and tired.

Her hands reached up to her cheeks, pinching them to give them some color.

"I'm sorry." Will admitted, sounding genuinely bad for her.

Catherine reached into her pitcher that was full of water, washing her hands. She splashed some on to her face, feeling the coolness instantly that began to wake her. Wetting her hands again, she looked back into the mirror, attempting to make her hair look nicer, dampening it to get it to curl softly. She tied the front strands back, loosening, and fluffing her hair.

Much better.

"What's in the napkin?" She turned to face Will, sitting down beside him.

Will's face lit up. "Oh! This is for you." He handed her the folded napkin.

Inside the cloth, she peeled open and found a fresh blueberry scone. Her heart grew heavy as her exhaustion began to fade. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?" Catherine questioned, leaning over to give a big smack of a kiss on Will's cheek.

Her best friend laughed, nodding. "Yes, anytime I give you food."

Catherine winked at him, breaking a piece off and plopping it in her mouth. A small moan came from her, she was starving. She offered some to him but Will shook his head, "I already had one."

"Have you heard from Jack or Mr. Gibbs this morning?" She questioned, her mouth full of pastry.

Will nodded. "Mr. Gibbs is off to find a crew and Jack is still sleeping."

Unsure as to why it relieved Catherine to this news of Jack, she didn't say anything else.

"Can I ask you something?" Will suddenly asked, turning his posture to fully face Catherine.

The young woman slowed down on her eating, eyeing him suspiciously. "I offered my food once, that moment is over."

A snort came from Will.

"No, I wasn't going to ask about the food. I've learned my lesson on that." Catherine laughed at that, knowing exactly what he was referring too. When they were kids, Will tried to steal a bite from Catherine's cake and ended up getting whacked with a loaf of bread instead.