Chapter 1

So, this is a somewhat modern AU but it's still structured like the Avatar world. I've changed a lot of things. There's still bending. There's a more mystical twist to the story. I'm not guaranteeing that I'll continue this, but this idea has been bothering me for days so I went ahead and wrote it. Just tell me what you think and I'll try my best to finish it. Also, it's Korrasami!

...

~Korra~

I always thought I could pretend to have a normal life. Pretend that I wasn't different from everyone else. Sure, I could bend all four elements while most people could only bend one. And sure, I was a chief's daughter which made me (technically) a princess. But that wasn't the only thing that made me different. It was something much more... physical than that. And it wasn't until I'd moved from my home in the Southern Water Tribe to Republic City that I had noticed just how different I was.

My father had sent me to live with someone who could teach me how to begin my airbending. I mastered the other three elements, but air always managed to throw me off. I didn't mind at first. Actually, I was eager to go. My mom packed up my things and, the next day, Tenzin came to get me. He traveled by boat, arriving at our shores early in the morning. He said it would be a long ride back and he didn't want to get there too late.

"Are you sure she'll be fine up there?" My father asked him. "She's the only one with this condition."

Keep in mind, I was only twelve at the time. I always considered my difference something that made me special. Yet, my father was talking about it like I was an abnormality.

"She'll be fine." Tenzin said. "I'll give her a hood to wear at all times and in public."

"And the changing?" My mother said. "She has no hold on that. It happens randomly."

"She'll be protected by the White Lotus. If they see anything, they'll take care of it." Tenzin said.

It angered me. It seriously angered me. I tried to focus on petting my polar bear dog's, Naga's, head. She bumped her nose against my cheek and I laughed. She always knew how to make me feel better.

"Korra." My father said, catching my attention. "I don't want you to think we're ashamed of you." So he must've seen my expression. "We love you with all our hearts, but there are people out there who might not think the same. We only want to protect you."

"I can promise you that no harm will come to you." Tenzin said with a smile.

"It's not fair." I said. "How do you know they won't accept me?"

Maybe I was too young to voice my own opinions and, because of that, maybe that's why they never took my thoughts into consideration. And maybe it was wrong to blame my father's side of the family. What I had skipped generations. My grandmother had it, her grandfather had it, and so on. Still, that didn't mean I wasn't seriously rethinking about what to think of myself.

They never gave me an answer either. They just looked at each other and told me it was time to go. My parents hugged me and told me how much they loved me. I said it back, of course, but my hatred for their decision didn't cease. I followed Tenzin onto the boat, leading Naga behind me, and looked back at them standing below. My mother was teary eyed and my father had his arm around her waist, waving. I waved back and the boat tugged forward. My home, my parents, slowly faded into the distance.