Thou Shalt Not Covet

OMG! I FORGOT TO MENTION THIS IN THE LAST STORY ("Call Me A Safe Bet"), BUT STILES CLAIMED TO LOVE DEREK WHILE HE WAS F*CKING A GIRL! F*CKING A F*CKING GIRL! I MEAN, LIKE, HONESTLY!! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!! STILES, YOU CLAIM THAT YOU LOVED DEREK THE WHOLE TIME, BUT WHILE YOU WERE STILL LOVING HIM, YOU WERE F*CKING A F*CKING GIRL! Two words: 'Ass'-'hat'
YOU MAY PROCEED NOW.

Stiles has been friends with Lydia for years and known her for even longer. They went from pre-teens, one with a crush and one who didn't acknowledge the others existence, to close friends and confidants. Stiles still isn't sure how he ended up as one of Lydia's best friends but here he is and he while he loves Lydia there are three things about her he will never admit to her:

1) He doesn't understand why she is hiding the fact that she is so close to winning the fields medal behind a (successful) fashion blog;

2) Her endless selfies on her instagram make her look really up herself;

3) Her taste in men is horrific; seriously, mindbogglingly awful.

Stiles doesn't know where Lydia finds the men she dates but they all seem to be either vain, arrogant or douchebags, usually all three. Yeah Stiles can admit that they have all been seriously hot and (Lydia even acknowledges that one or two of them were seriously good in bed) but Stiles can't see how it's worth it. Stiles has spent a meal or evening out with Lydia and various boyfriends over the years and he's wanted to maim and injure himself the entire time. Listening to some random guy who has more hair product then brains talk superficial drivel while Lydia smiles and pouts at them is not his idea of a good time.

So when on a random Wednesday evening in March Stiles walks into his local Indian to pick up his takeaway and sees Lydia having dinner with yet another good looking buff guy in a tight shirt he resolves to try and make it out of there without being spotted. Unfortunately for Stiles Lydia spots him three feet from the door and waves him over. There is moment where Stiles considers whether enduring Lydia's wrath for ignoring her and walking out of the door would be worth it, if in doing so he avoided the lunkhead of the week and their attempts to belittle and intimidate him, while he stands there holding his rapidly cooling food.

Lydia's wrath is best avoided and so Stiles' makes his way over to the table noticing that while her dinner companion fits the good-looking and buff ideal that Lydia usually goes for, this one is a little different. Firstly he's not wearing any kind of brand or flashy clothes he's simply wearing jeans and a tight Henley. He isn't flashing an expensive watch or jewellery or wearing enough aftershave to choke the room. And Holy shit he has a beard. Stiles feels his eyebrows raising a little, Lydia dating a man with a beard. Stiles hasn't even seem her date a man with designer stubble. Lydia's new date is still gorgeous with his dark hair and sharp cheekbones which is probably why Lydia has made an exception, and is... holy hell is he actually standing up to shake hands with Stiles. Stiles can't help but gape at this guy for a second as Lydia usually has to make beefcake of the week acknowledge Stiles but this man holds out his hand and says "Hi, I'm Derek" without prompting.

Stiles grabs the hand back still looking a bit dazed while managing stutter out "Stiles, I'm... err... Stiles".

Lydia is looking at him with a bemused look on her face, the one that means she thinks he's being an idiot but she's in a good enough mood not to find it annoying.

Stiles stays there talking for only a few minutes, as Derek didn't want Stiles' food to go cold (seriously who is this guy?). But in that time Stiles has found out the Lydia met Derek at the University as Derek is the new history professor and Lydia has been grilling Derek on his new book about the Vikings in America . Hot and smart, Stiles gives him until the end of the weekend before he's relegated to a random anomaly in Lydia's dating history.