Old houses

As soon as I said yes, I wasn't sure if it was the right thing. Going into his old house, the house he'd shared with his wife and kids, the house he was moving out of after getting divorced.
We walked into a bright and airy town house. It looked like something out of a magazine. Everything was perfect, perfect decorations, perfect lighting, perfect pictures, perfect family. "Coffee or wine?" He called from ahead as he'd strolled through to the kitchen. Wine definitely wine!

"Have you been back here much?" I asked.

"I've been here the last few days for fittings and stuff. We start filming in a few weeks, I'm really hoping to be in the new place for that." He handed me a glass of wine and sat next to me at the kitchen island, I was standing and he patted the stool next to him. I sat and watched him try to fiddle with a non-existent wedding ring.

"Are you missing it?" I asked nodding to his hand.

"The ring? Yes, the marriage, not so much" he chuckled. "I didn't realise how much I played with it until I took it off. I've spent the last two days being shocked when it doesn't click on something or isn't there when I go for it. Time for it to go though" he smiled and I hid behind my glass. "Awkward sorry"

"No it's not. I asked" I put the glass on the table and stood quickly and kissed him. He looked surprised but pleased. "Sorry, I felt like I had to do something to break the moment" I laughed and he slid his hands around my waist.

"Do not apologise for that" he pulled me between his knees and kissed me again. This time properly. We took our time, lips gently parting, hands holding each other close and cautiously exploring. My hands slid across his back, he felt strong and broad. His dropped and pulled my hips closer to him, I dropped from my tiptoes and he noticed that I was straining to reach up to him. "Come here" he growled before standing and lifting me onto his stool. He stood back before me and we were eye to eye.

"Much better" I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. He growled slightly as his hands pulled me around him from the small of my back. My insides quivered, I felt a burning not helped by the feeling of him hard in his jeans between my legs.

We were brought back to reality by his phone ringing on the counter. He stopped his lips and held his forehead to mine for a moment he looked over and saw 'Mariska' lighting up the phone. "You should get that" I sat up straight and he took the phone into the yard behind the kitchen.
I quickly text Dan with an update and finished the last of my wine whilst I waited. After about 5 mins I checked the time and planned to leave him to it. We'd spent a great day together but as much as I wanted to continue what we were up to, I didn't want to do anything more here, not in this house. He spotted me sorting my bag and popped his head back in after muting the call.

"I'm so fucking sorry," he started.

"Don't be. It's totally fine. I should be going anyway"

"You don't have to I'm really not planning of this taking much longer"

I walked up and held his cheek before giving a gentle kiss "don't rush. Take some time. I've really enjoyed today" I kissed him again hoping to make a point about what I had enjoyed "let me know when you need help moving" I smiled and walked away before he could stop me.

As I left, I contemplated what he really need time for. I didn't fancy becoming a rebound, things were going kind of quickly. However, he'd reassured me that his marriage was over long before they filled for papers. But it wasn't anywhere public yet, to the world and even to me in that house, they were the perfect family - and I just made out with him!

Two days later, Peter had text me with a moving date and asked me over for dinner the first night he was in. I always found the first night in a new place exciting and was happy to join him.
I sat reading a few days before when dad thrust his phone in my face with a news article on the screen. The photo was of Peter and his family and the headline was '2020 deals us all another blow - Mariska Hartigay and Peter Hermann announce their divorce.' The article cited copies of their legal paperwork, a jointly filed document, irreconcilable difference, joint custody of the children, 50% 50% division of all assets (now I know how he could afford the town house), no one else involved. It talked about how they wanted to keep things simple for the children, how they remained really good friends and continue to be involved in each others' lives as best friends rather than partners.

"What should I think of this?" I asked Dan who had been uncharacteristically quiet whilst I read.

"I think you should be excited to get his this weekend!" He smiled and took his phone back re-reading bits. "It sounds like the perfect couple have had the perfect divorce"

"Too good to be true?" I asked

"Let's hope not!" He smiled and set about planning how I would get third date ready.