The escape

Will

I had to get out of here. Now.

But my legs didn't move, frozen right before the podest. The empty podest. With my name written on it.
And the year - 2016. She expected me to stand on the marble in less than a month.

Move! Finally, my feet scratched over the ground. I stumbled back, almost falling, but I caught myself. Think! How would I get out of here? Just walk out the front door? One thing I was sure about: Celine wouldn't let me go that easily.

Maybe these were her mother's statues? Maybe Celine was innocent? No, I couldn't believe that. Even Kathy had told me the rumors about the blonde girl: That she caught her boyfriends in her cellar. But, the earliest date was 1901... Maybe that was a family tradition too? Would that explain the around twenty-five year old Cliff - statue?

Arthur seemed to strangle me personally. Think better!
It didn't help me stating the obvious. Could I wrestle her down? She was tinier and more petite than me, but that didn't have to mean anything. Nico was also tinier and more petite, and when he started a fight with me, he always won.

What would Nico do? Obviously, shadow-travelling out of here. He would just melt in the shadows and transfer us to Iceland again, leaving Celine and everything wicked about that behind like it never existed.

As the dim light of the storage room was recognizable, I stopped my glow. Luckily I still was on socks; walking down the path as silent as possible. Could I get out if I was just fast enough? No, Celine was faster; I clearly remembered how easy she could keep up with me back in our PE classes.
The only thing I had what she didn't have was healing and glowing; both not really good qualities.

I rang the doorbell again; and the stairs shoved themselves in front of the hall without making the tiniest sound.
The popcorn bag still was in my hand. Clenching tightly to it, I took a deep breath and wrestled my feelings down.
If Celine had one weakness, it was her impatience. Somehow, I had to use that against her...

"Finally!", Celine whispered. I shrieked - she stood right behind the cellar door, snatching the bag from my hand. "Did you have a panic attack in there or something?"
"I told you I don't like cellars", I whispered back. "But I've got popcorn."
"Pussy", she told me and scooted over to the kitchen. I heard the microwave starting.

It couldn't be that easy. Carefully, I tested the window in the hallway. Could I...?

No. The window was locked.

"Who the hell are you?", a voice asked behind me. I spun around to face Clara. "Shh!", I made and she frowned. "This is my house, and I have the right to know-"
I grabbed her wrists; trying to get her to sleep. But something entirely else hit me...

She was trapped in the mist. That woman, maybe fifty, was completely healthy, but charmed. "Shh", I repeated. Should I break the spell? But the microwave ringed now, and I decided Clara was safer when her fake daughter didn't know that I knew the trick.

Celine now appeared in the corridor. "Mommy, what are you doing here?"
"It's a robber", Clara warned, her arms crossed in front of her chest. "He did something at the window."
"I need fresh air", I quickly said. "It just... The cellar kinda messed with me."

"Oh, did it?", Celine asked, raising her eyebrows slightly. "Mom, that's William. No robber, just a boy I know from college."
It was fascinating how fast her expression changed. "Oh Ceecee" - she pronounced it more like Sissy - "do you finally make friends again? That's so sweet! You have to know, William, she didn't make friends till 2000, when her last boyfriend just moved away without even telling -"