All-inclusive studio

Nico

"Here's your change. Have a nice day."

The good thing about being employee at McDonald's was that I exactly knew what to do. Everything went the same ways, again and again, and while I followed these patterns, I could think as much as I wanted.

That was also the bad thing. Especially now, when the summer turned cold and distant, I tended to be very melancholic.

William was my own personal sunshine. Dependency was a problem of mine I had mostly under control; but I still struggled sometimes.
Just like people who got winter depression, I got depressed when he was missing.

It wasn't like I was broken without him... But I also wasn't happy.

Since Celine attempted her suicide, the two of them spent a lot of time together. That wasn't something I would complain about; but I thought a lot.

And right now, as a stressed mother ordered some Happy Meals, I had more than enough time to think.

Celine got better and better, but I had to keep my distance. She didn't like me; announced her suicidal thoughts washed over her again when I was near her. According to her, she was sorry for her own feelings; meant it was just a strange coincidence.

But I was the son of Hades. The prince of the underworld. Even though I always tried to, I couldn't ignore the fact that my presence had some effects on mortals. A suicidal girl wishing to die in front of underworld-y presence? That made sense.

But Will was good for her; his warmth, his humor, his healing skills. My boyfriend had promised to make her go to a therapist, but she refused to until today.

We saw each other occasionally at work and at college. But whenever Celine was there, I kept my distance - and she followed him like a lost puppy dog. Three days ago, I had met him in the gym, and even though he went to gym at the unruly time of 5:45am, Celine had showed there up too.

"There you go", I said with a smile. "Have a nice day."
The family took their Happy Meals, chatting happily as they sat down at a table.

I went back in the kitchen. Another order now came in; from the screens. "I'll do that", I told my co-worker and she went over to the waiting people again.

A short smile tugged at my lips as I saw the order. One bag of french fries. Double Cheeseburger. Three cookies. Double Hamburger, and finally, one soda.

But then, my mind drifted again. Will would definitely be the fool to sort the items after numbers, but he was out with Celine. They wouldn't come here, would they?

Suddenly, I was excited. Fastly I put everything in a bag and hurried to the counter. "Number 44, please."

Not William. Simon.
He took the bag from my hands and smiled shyly. I forced myself to return that smile. "Have a nice day", I said and he nodded before sitting down. It was the first time I saw him outside his room, and that was kind of relieving. He did have a life, after all.

But again, I fell into the automatic mode. Orders over orders, someone screaming at their children in front of everyone else, families with little children, my own thoughts ringing in my head.

Just after all that started... Just after that night, we had less contact than ever. Surely it was coincidental, but... Did the people marry first because of that? Because they lost their respective partners if they gave them too much too early?