Found

Gon added more kindling and a couple of logs to the fire, blowing on it to bring it back to life. Killua watched, fascinated.

Killua's muscles felt sensitive, and every movement hurt him because he was still weak from the near death experience. He didn't want to tell Gon, though. Gon would make them go back to the house, and Aunt Mito would find them for sure.

Gon pulled out his little guitar again, and began to play. It was... nice to hear. Killua didn't recognise the song, so he just watched as Gon's fingers strummed a magical melody.

Suddenly, Killua realized they weren't alone. There were eyes in the forest, refelicting the firelight, and watching them. Killua looked over to Gon to shout, but saw that Gon was gazing softly at a small doe that had approached him.

Gon leaned forward, and touched his forehead to hers. Killua had never seen anything like it before.

"This is Killua, he's a friend." Gon said, addressing the animals all around them.

Killua stared in mute terror as all the wildlife stepped into the light. There was heavy breathing behind him, and his heart nearly stopped.

Killua slowly turned to look, then came face to face with a giant... bear... thing. Holy shit! That thing is huge! He scrambled away, a bit sluggish due to his fatigue. He stumbled on the blankets, and fell directly on his bum in the snow. Shit. He looked up in horror as the beast came closer. That thing is going to eat me- it can chomp my head right off!

"Gon?" He found his voice. "Gon, Gon!"

"It's okay! She's a friend!"

Killua squeezed his eyes shut, and held out his hands to ward off the monster. But instead of getting his head bitten off, a long and warm tongue licked his hands.

He opened his eyes to look at his goop-covered hands. "Ewwww."

Gon was just laughing at him. "She's nice."

Killua quickly stood up out of the snow, then wrapped the blanket tighter around him while cautiously shuffling away. "What... is she?"

"A foxbear!"

"Wait, you mean the foxbear? The Foxbear Of York New?" Killua looked at Gon, then looked at the foxbear. "My dads used to tell me scary stories about these things all the time."

"Really?" Gon put his guitar down, then walked over to the great creature. He put a hand up to her face, then rubbed her head affectionately. "She's actually really nice, people are too scared of the way she looks, that's all." Gon laughed again. "She's kinda like you, y'know? With your white hair?"

"What?"

"You were saying that people don't like you because you have white hair. They called you a monster." Gon shrugged. "Just like people think she looks like a monster, too. She looks scary, so people are afraid."

That's kinda dumb, but whatever works for you.

"Come here!" Gon beckoned him. "She's really nice, I promise."

Killua slowly took a step toward his friend. He was still afraid, but... he trusted Gon. So he stood next to the pair, looking at the foxbear with stifled fear.

Gon carefully took his hand, and gently raised it to rest on the foxbear's nose. It was like touching a live wire. Killua's heart suddenly filled up, and his body felt warm. He felt like he could see the creature in the same light that Gon did; as a friend. Her eyes were no longer threatening and predatory, but rather intelligent, and kind. Her mouth seemed to perk up in a smile, rather than a sneer.

"She's... beautiful." Killua whispered in awe.

The foxbear gently nudged him, and he began to pet her. Then scratch behind her ears, and smoosh her ears playfully. He laughed.

Suddenly the Foxbear's eyes dilated, and she tensed up. Killua gasped, afraid she might lash out and bite him. She turned away from the others, and let out a deep growl that shook the white-haired boy to the core.

Killua looked to Gon, but he was also on high alert. "What's going on?"

"Shh." Gon commanded, focusing on the dark forest around them.

Killua strained his eyes, but still couldn't see anything beyond the fire's light. He reached out to grab Gon's sleeve, but Gon grabbed his hand instead. He squeezed the older boy's fingers to silently give him reassurance.

There was tense silence. Nothing moved. Not even the other animals. Then all at once, the owls took off, hooting a warning tone. The small critters dashed away, and the deer took off running. Killua wanted to run. He was scared. He didn't know what was out there.

"Red eyes." Gon whispered.

"What?"

"It has red eyes." Gon screamed, then jumped onto the foxbear's back. He pulled Killua up in one swoop, and the beast took off through the forest. Killua barely had time to get a grip on Gon's jacket before almost being bucked off by how fast the foxbear was moving.

"Killua!" a voice, one he thought he would never hear again, cut through the frozen air like a blade.

"Dad?!" Killua looked behind them to see Kurapika standing next to the fire, panting heavily. "Gon, wait, it's my dad."

Gon did his best to calm down the foxbear so she would stop running, but she only slowed down a little for them to jump off before running away again. Killua wished he could run away. He knew he was in deep trouble.

"Killua, come here, now." Kurapika commanded, and both boys began the walk of shame back to the fireplace.

It was quite the walk back, and Kurapika had caught his breath by the time they got there. Both boys stood in front of him, eyes downcast, expecting a lecture. They knew they would be punished.

"Oh my god." Kurapika's voice was thick with emotion. He took both boys in his arms, and hugged them tightly. "I was so worried. I thought I'd lost you."

Killua's lip trembled. As much as he tried to pretend that he didn't care, and that he hated his dads; he didn't like being alone. Hearing his dad's voice tremble like that was earth shaking for the white-haired boy. He'd never heard his dad cry. Never.

"I'm sorry." Killua cried, hugging tight.

Kurapika pulled back a little, and began to pepper both boy's faces with little kisses. "I'm so glad you're alright. Papa's head is going to explode when he finds out you're safe."

Papa always worried about everything, that's for sure. He was actually pacing the hotel room at this very moment, trying to find something to do to get his mind off of things. He should get out of the hotel room, maybe go wander around town to burn off the nervous energy. He checked the time again for the fourth in the last minute. It was 1:12 am. Alluka was asleep. He shouldn't wake her up.

But he had this... feeling. It's the same feeling he had right before his husband called him about Killua. Very bad things were on the horizon.

-

AYO PLEASE READ THIS STORY IS BUSSIN