Why is your hair white?

~Gon POV~
There he was, waiting at the crosswalk. Gon shouted his name and ran to him. He proudly showed his new mittens to his friend.

"Aunt mito made them! Look, they're white like your hair!"

"That's embarrassing!" Killua scratched his head.

"Why is your hair white? Did you dye it?"

"I'm albino? It means all my hair is white." He said bashfully. "It's genetic so I can't change it."

"Oh, it's naturally white!" Gon patted his head. "That's cool!"

"You think it's cool?" He asked in surprise. "Everyone else thinks it's weird. Some people call me the abominable snowman."

The black haired boy laughed. "People sure are mean. But I think you look like an angel."

Killua blinked. "What?"

Gon stood up straight, suddenly realizing what he'd said. "Oh- I uh... I just mean cuz your hair is white! You're not a snowman? Uh I uh-"

Killua had a small smile on his face, but he covered it with a hand. He smacked Gon on the head, then growled. "Oh, just shut up already!"

They headed toward the school, both red faced and avoiding eye contact. Just before they parted ways, Gon turned to his new friend.

"Hey um, do you want to come over after school today?" He asked.

"Like... to hang out?"

"Yeah! I mean, we still have homework to do so we can do that first. But I want to introduce you to aunt Mito, and show you around my favorite hideout in the woods!" He smiled wide. "What do you say?"

"I'll have to ask my dad." He scratched his head. "But I know he will say yes."

"Awesome! Meet me here after school, okay? Then we can walk together!" Gon hugged him on impulse. "See ya!" Then he ran off to class.

~Killua POV~

'Hey can I go to Gon's house after school?' Killua texted his parents.

Leorio was the first to respond. 'Way to go lil man! Of course you can go. Remember to pick up Alluka from daycare at 3, I'll be at work until 6. You can invite Gon over if you'd like.'

'Thanks papá, I will :)' Killua stowed his phone in his bag, and counted down the minutes until school got out.

-

Killua crept across the grass field, and spotted Gon waiting at the gate. He was fiddling with his gloves, so he didn't see the taller boy sneak up behind him. Killua jumped onto his back, scaring him with a "Boo!"

"Killua! You scared me!" He laughed.

The boys laughed together, then Killua got off him and righted himself.

"My papá said I need to pick up my sister from daycare and babysit until he gets home... is it okay if we hang out at my house instead?"

"Yeah! Lemme call my aunt Mito." He said, pulling out his blocky phone.

Killua smiled to himself as Gon called his aunt. Maybe he could convince Leorio to let him buy Gon a new phone for Christmas. He shook his head. He shouldn't get too attached too quickly.

"Mito says it's okay. I just need to be home before curfew."

"Duh, that's what curfew means." Killua laughed, and together they set off for the daycare center.

Gon sure was a chatty kid. He told Killua stories about all his adventures on whale island, and how his favorite pastime was exploring the forest.

"That's why we moved into a house close to the woods. It makes me feel at home!"

Feeling at home in the woods? Man, this kid is kinda weird. Killua thought to himself. But he smiled nonetheless. The spiky haired boy talked with such enthusiasm and light in his eyes, it was impossible not to listen.

They arrived at the daycare center, and Killua led Gon inside. They stopped at the reception desk, and Killua rang the bell.

"Ah! Killua!" A tall fellow with glasses came in and waved. "You brought a friend, I see."

"Wing, this is Gon. We met at school." Killua introduced him proudly.

"Nice to meet you, Gon." Wing bowed respectfully, and Gon followed suit. "I assume you're both here to pick up Alluka?"

Killua nodded, and wing left to go get his little sister. He led Gon to a waiting bench, and they watched the fish in a nearby tank.

"That one looks like you." Gon pointed to a pale goldfish.

"Ew he looks like he's dying."

"Maybe. They need to clean out this tank more often."

Alluka came running into the room, and threw her arms around her brother. "Big brother!" She gasped. "Are you Gon?" She threw her arms around him and squished her face into his shirt.

"Hey, Alluka! Personal space, remember?" Killua pulled his sister off of his friend. "Say sorry."

"Sorry." Alluka smiled really big.

"It's okay, I forgive you." Gon reassured her.

Killua took her by the hand. "Let's go home. Gon is going to help me babysit you."

"Yay!" She jumped up and down. Then she gasped. "I forgot my back pack. I'll be right back."

She took off, and both boys watched her go.

"Sorry, I forgot to mention she's kind of a handful. Taking care of her is going to be... well, a handful."

"I don't mind." Gon smiled. "I think she's fun!"

Fun. That was the first time Killua had heard someone call his sister fun. Most people called her annoying, needy, and sometimes overwhelming. But Gon said she was fun.

Killua rubbed his head affectionately. "I can tell that we are gonna be great friends."