The Woods.

Killua POV

The woods. It was cold, and silent. Heavy snow was now falling, muffling any sound that dared move through the frozen forest. Killua thanked the driver, and stepped off the path.

"I wouldn't go in there if I were you, kiddo." The driver advised. "I've heard there are dangerous beasts in there. They lurk in caves and hunt in the night."

Killua gulped. It was still day time. All he had to do was walk around the outside of the forest to find gon's house and his hideout. He didn't actually have to go very deep into the woods... right?

"Thanks mister, but I think I'll be okay." He lied.

The driver left, and Killua turned back to the scene in front of him. His hands were shaking, and not just from the cold. He balled them into fists and shoved them in his pockets. Dangerous beasts my ass, there's nothing in here except Gon, and his hideout. All I have to do is look for a campfire, or a... house that could be Gon's!

With nothing but hope on his side, he began his search.

~

Gon POV

Gon put another log on the fire, and wiped more tears off his face. He'd be spending Christmas alone this year. Again. Aunt Mito always happened to have work on the most important night of the year, and never managed to catch a break. But he'd always had his forest friends to keep him company on whale island, no matter what day of the year it was.

Not this year. He hadn't seen a single animal besides a small squirrel since that morning, and she was in such a hurry to get home that they didn't have time to make friends. It seems even the animals were spending christmas with their families.

Gon's heart ached again, and another tear slipped down his cheek. Family. Like Killua and Alluka, and even Kurapika and Leorio. Gon wished he was in their family. Maybe then he'd have someone to spend Christmas with.

A warm tongue licked the cold tears off of Gon's cheek, and he looked up to see a small deer. He smiled and patted its head gently. "Sorry, I just miss my friend a lot. I wish he was here with me."

The deer nudged him with her nose, and he put an arm over her to keep her warm. "Thanks, I'm glad you came!"

Gon looked up to see that the doe was not alone. Her father stood proudly a few paces away, and Gon bowed his head to show respect. The tall creature did likewise, then approached the campfire to settle down near its warmth. The mother followed suit and laid next to him.

Gon smiled and pulled out his tiny guitar from under a dry blanket. The deer all watched curiously as he strummed a soft tune in the winter air. It was a christmas song that aunt mito had taught him.

It was called "do they know it's christmas time at all." He didn't know all the words, and most of the song was tapping a rhythm on the wood of the guitar, but it was fun to sing and to play. So he played it to fill the heavy silence of the evening.

Slowly, other wildlife animals came to hear his song. Soon there were owls, a family of squirrels, a pair of raccoons, and even the lonesome fox of the forest came to listen. They all watched in peaceful silence as the song continued.

Gon decided to play a fun song next, one that people usually dance to. It was an acoustic rendition of "run, run, rudolph." He stomped his foot to the beat, and swayed in his seat too. The raccoons began to chase one another around the campsite, and the owls hooted as accompaniment. The squirrels wrestled and the doe bucked her head to show her delight.

It was quite the sight to see; all the forest critters dancing to the music that the little boy made. Even the stoic father deer seemed to smile at the festivities.