9

Talking

Arthur's pov

Jack seemed thinking for a while. I understood him, though. It's not easy to proceed this. But he knew me right away. I was the one who didn't recognize him first.

“I assume you want to know how I got these scars.” He said, sitting on the edge of the roof, me next to him.

I nodded slowly. “I'm sorry.” I said. I knew he didn't do this to himself, just because of the fact I remember how nice he was to me when we were small.

He took a deep breath. “My father was crazy. It's his fault. Well, one day... he just came home in the middle of the night. He hurt my mom. I heard screams, it woke me up. So, I went to look.” He paused briefly, as if he was scared to continue. It's almost impossible how much I understand his situation. I put my hand on his hand, and he softly took mine without hesitation, looking at it, while continuing his story.

“I found my mother dead. He killed her. I tried to wake her up, I thought she was sleeping.. I couldn't. Uh, my father knelt then down to me, I remember the look in his eyes. He was drunk and high. I asked him what's wrong with mom. He said she's sleeping.”

I squeezed his hand, not painfully, just softly. God. This is terrible. I remember hearing screams from Jack's house. Was it him? Oh god, was it him?

“He looked at me and said, Why so serious? I was genuinely scared. He said, let's put a smile on that face. And.. Did this to me.”

I felt so bad for him. I hugged him, and he laughed awkwardly.

“I'm so sorry.” I said.

“You think I'm soft now, huh.” He pulled away from me, standing up.

“No..” I said. “I didn't think that. I thought that I'm glad you shared your story with me.”

He put his hands into his pockets and looked away. “After this I ran away. And to be honest with you, Arthur, I was thinking about carving you from that hole, so you could run away with me. But... I was too shocked.”

“It's okay. I was too weak to run anyways.” I said, I looked down.
“I think I heard you screaming.”
I whispered.

Jack's pov

I feel so bad. It's all my fault. I know why I want Arthur to go with me. It's not for him to run away with me.
It's... Something different. It wasn't my idea, but If I rejected, they would eat me. I regret doing this, and I hate it, because it's against my will. And I never do things like that.

The fact that he understood me. He's the piece that missed in my life. When I was a kid I spent most of my times outside. There was always loud noises coming from Arthur's house, so I decided to check in, and found him on the ground, alone, and he was so tiny. I stole cupcakes that day, I gave him all of them. He was so thankful. He was so sweet. He still is.

But I can't bring myself to hurt him. Not ever since I first saw him after all those years.

“It's possible. Hey, you can be in my room, wanna show it?” I turned around.

He nodded, hopping up, and his cuteness is too much for me to handle.
____

We walked through the abandoned place, me and my employees lived in most of times. Yes, it's a shithole, but we're criminals, what do you expect?

“Boss, we blew up the store.”

I nodded. I saw their expressions glued on Arthur, who seemed nervous.

I dead glared them, gesturing to keep their mouths shut, and they quickly nodded.

Arthur seemed flattered at my action. But I.. I felt terrible. I regretted bringing him here.

I led him to my room. It was messy and I was kinda embarrassed about that.

“Uh-”

“It's okay, Jack.” He said and stepped away from me, to look at me. I wasn't used to be called by my name, but from his mouth it was.. Acceptable.

“I'll leave you for a while to get used to here.” I said, and he nodded with grateful face. I left.

Now to the most painful part.