Chapter 50

Chaeyoung explained in the patrol car that Nayeon's cellphone was tracked to a neighbourhood near Nakdong river. 

"And we found an address under the name of Myoui Mina in that location." Chaeyoung said, her expression drooping ever so slightly. 

A fitting end, a poetic justice for a beautiful life they'd snatched, Jeongyeon thought.

"What's bothering you?" She turned to look at her unusually quiet partner. 

"I don't feel good doing this." Chaeyoung replied in a low voice.

"I don't either." Jeongyeon admitted, her honesty taking them both by surprise. 

-----------------------

"Why leave me last?" Jiwon snarled, spitting blood out of his mouth. 

Nayeon rubbed her knuckles, soothing where it had bruised from punching him. "Yi-Jun was the executer. Hajoon was the hacker. Dong-Hyun was the lock picker. Gunwoo was responsible for stealing vehicles for the getaway. But you Jiwon, you are the mastermind behind all the crimes. It's only fair that I come to you last, isn't it?" Nayeon said, her voice even. 

Jiwon stared at her, pulse pounding loudly in his ears as she dragged the metal rod across the floor. She was calm and stoic, it only made the fear in his stomach grow thicker. He squinted his eyes to keep his gaze on her as she stepped into the shadows, away from the moonlight. "I didn't know she had a girlfriend. We only killed women who were useless to others."

"Useless," Nayeon hummed, walking forward into the low light filtering through the window again. "You get to decide which life is useless and which one is useful Jiwon?"

"No." He blurted out, too terrified to say otherwise. "Please, let me live. I'm really sorry." 

He saw the girl's eyes squeeze shut. Her fingers tightened around the rod. He swallowed thickly when her eyes filled with a bone chilling coldness opened and stared him down. 

Knife in one hand, rod in other she approached him quietly, like a predator nearing its prey.

She stopped abruptly when she heard sirens in the distance. Her cool impassive eyes showed no panic or fear. 

She untied his hand from the tap. Twisting his arm behind his back, she held the knife to his throat. His skin felt the cool touch of the metal. "Move." She said, pointing to the door. 

It was too late. The police car pulled up at the building. She couldn't make her exit through the stairs, they would storm through there any moment now. She quickly formulated a plan in her head. Shoving him forwards, she took the stairs to the open terrace. Police would check the flat first, it would buy her enough time to finish him off. 

When she reached the terrace, Jiwon unexpectedly slid from under her hold and swung his leg at her. "You fucking bitch, untie me and I'll show you what a real man can do."

Something snapped inside her. It was this ego, it was this maniacal feeling of superiority which had taken away the one thing she loved in this world. She dodged another kick, spun around him and lifted her knife. With determination, she raised it in the air. 

It cut the rope in half. The surprise was evident in his face as his hands came free. Rubbing his sore muscles he leaped forward for her. She relished the sound of his skull cracking as she slid a leg between his feet, kicking one to a side making him stumble and used the moment of oppurtunity to smash an elbow into his head. 

He shook his head, trying to dissipate the dizziness away. 

He growled as he lunged for her again. She didn't move. She looked as cool as ever. It only irked him more. Fisting his hand tightly, he aimed for her face. She moved to the side, grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back again. He tried to wriggle out of her grasp, but her grip was surprisingly strong for a girl. "Play time over Jiwon." She muttered into his ears. 

She looped her other hand around his back to hold the knife to his chest. 

"Freeze." A voice startled Jiwon. Before them, near the fire exit were two police officers. "Put the knife down Nayeon."

Nayeon tightened her hold on his arm. She walked them backwards. There was nowhere to go. A step back would mean a three storey drop into the Nakdong river. There was only a minute chance they would survive the fall. The river flew serenely, unaware of the evil that lurked around it. Nayeon pushed the knife into his chest, revelling in the sight of a dot of blood that seeped through his shirt. This was the way he should go, she wasn't going to take any chance and have him survive the fall. 

"I swear to god I'll shoot you if you don't drop the knife." Jeongyeon's hand trembled as she pointed the pistol at Nayeon. 

Chaeyoung kept her eyes focussed on Nayeon as she held her gun steadily. She prayed that Nayeon would drop the knife. She really didn't want Jeongyeon to use her gun. Nayeon didn't deserve it. 

"I can't detective." A sad smile lifted her grieving lips. She took another step backwards. 

Jeongyeon felt sweat drip down the side of her face despite the cool night air. She saw Nayeon lift the knife to plunge into his chest. She pulled the trigger aiming for her knees. She wouldn't kill her, she couldn't kill her. Jiwon threw his elbow to Nayeon's stomach in an attempt to escape, making her double over. 

Joengyeon pulled the trigger. 

"No." Chaeyoung cried. It was too late. They both watched with wide eyes as the bullet hit Nayeon in the chest. 

Nayeon stumbled backwards, eyes drifting down to the hole in her chest. 

"Mina." A single word left her lips.

She pulled Jiwon back into her by the collar of his shirt. With every bit of energy she had, she plunged the knife into his chest. Repeatedly.

Joengyeon watched as if in slow motion, Jiwon dropping to the floor, his eyes rolling back in his head.  

"Noo." Chaeyoung sobbed, as Nayeon stumbled further, falling off the building into the river, the flowing water and the darkness around them eager to embrace the last shred of her life. 

Jeongyeon fell to her knees, burying her face in her hands. 

Nayeon's eyes closed as the night air caressed her face and she fell backwards into the river, bits and pieces of her life flashing behind her closed eyelids. 

We were both young when I first saw you
I close my eyes and the flashback starts.

Her lips twisted into a serene smile as Mina's face came through her blurred vision.

One whole year, I waited for you at the entrance. Every single day. You never came back.

A tear escaped from underneath her closed eyes. 

The people who did this to him, they'll pay for their sins.

Mina had paid for her sins. 

If being with you means being alive just for a day, I'll happily choose that over living to a hundred with someone who's not you.

Darkness enveloped her eyes.

Your eyes Nayeon-chan. I could recognize your eyes anywhere.

"Mina." She said the name in her mind, a peace surrounding her as her back met with the water of Nakdong river. 

I see a ten year old, alone and afraid, waiting, hoping, praying that someone would pull her out of the darkness.

Nayeon sunk into the river, hair floating around her as her body travelled down to the bottom, the darkness of the deep water engulfing her.