Chapter 18

Nayeon lit up a cigarette as she sat on the steps outside Mina's building and waited for Jihyo and the boys to finish saying goodbye to Mina. She'd just nodded and left.

"Goodnight then. Drive safe." "Thanks for dinner Mina." Nayeon threw her cigarette away when she heard voices down the hall.

She dusted the back of her trousers and rose to her feet. Mina came to stand on the step above hers. The air was heavy as their eyes met under the moonlight.

"Shit, boss is calling." Chiho silenced everyone and picked up the call.

"Tonight boss?" "Okay."

Chiho announced in a sullen voice after ending the call that they had another assignment.

"Do you have to do this?" Mina's question was something Nayeon was unprepared for.

"Yes." She resisted snarling the word at her. She turned around, and raised an eyebrow at her team who seemed a little reluctant. One dinner and they were like pathetic little puppies on leash.

"I'll do it myself. " She hissed.

A tug on her sleeve made the muscle in her jaw clench. Mina descended the steps to come to stand by her side. "Why do you have to do this? You always have a choice Nayeon-chan."

A choice. Nayeon's face scrunched in disgust. Choice was a luxury only available to the rich. Nayeon put her passive face back on. "Why?" She growled dangerously. "It's easy to judge me from where you are Mina. You've never been poor." She took a threatening step closer. "Have you ever had your father barge into your home and shoot your mother dead right in front of your eyes because he had no money to settle his debts? Have you ever hidden inside a dark cupboard hoping someone would come save you from your own father? Have you ever had to see your father shoot himself in the head and see his brain splatter on the wall? Have you ever lost everything you ever had in one day?" Mina was speechless as she processed the words. "No. You've never had to sleep on streets, you never had to beg for food, you never had grown men leering at you like you weren't just a child." Mina swallowed a lump in her throat. "We don't always have a choice Mina."

Nayeon drew a breath to compose herself. She turned to her side and said, "Let's get goi-" but didn't get to finish her sentence.

Mina threw herself at her. Arms wrapped around her neck, tears stained the front of her shirt and Nayeon was caught by surprise.

She was stiff, not knowing what to do. She looked at Jihyo, Chiho and Min-Jun who were looking at her with sadness in their eyes. Nayeon wondered what had come over all of them. She was uncomfortable, hard as rock as Mina continued to cry against her body.

Nayeon couldn't remember the last time she'd been hugged. She vaguely remembered her mother picking her up and hugging her tightly as she sang her to sleep. She pulled in a shivering breath, felt her body slowly relax as Mina held her.

Nayeon decided it was useless trying to get rid of her. She'd move away on her own whenever she was ready.

Mina finally pulled away after what seemed like ages. Her lower lip quivered as she tried to will a smile on her face. Nayeon never had anyone cry for her. It made something clench in her chest.

"I'm sorry. I ruined your shirt." Mina wiped away the remnants of tears on her cheeks. "I want you to do something for me. Will you?" She asked Nayeon, looking into her eyes.

Nayeon couldn't bring herself to say no. She set her jaw and asked, "What's it?"

"I want all of you to come and visit my workplace tomorrow." Nayeon thought it was an odd request. But she shuddered at the possibility of having to deal with more tears and hugs if she refused.

"Okay." She nodded. "Text Jihyo the address."

"You're not even going to ask where I work?"  Mina chuckled through her tears, her eyes never leaving Nayeon's face.

"Are you going to cry if I don't?" Nayeon rushed out the words.

"No." A hearty laughter left her lips. Nayeon let out a soft breath of relief.

"Then, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight Nayeon-chan." Mina whispered into the night as she watched the older girl go.