Chapter 15

Chi-ho glanced at his phone. A text from his boss announced serious trouble. He stalked towards Nayeon, touched her forearm warily to get her attention. He whispered something into her ears. Nayeon withdrew her hands away from Mina's gentle grasp.

"We'll have to go." She cleared her throat. And without waiting for a reply, she swiveled around and darted in the direction of their headquarters.

___

Dahyun narrowed her eyes at the unit before her. "Are you aware of how ridiculous you sound? We can't bring her in for questioning. There's no evidence that Nayeon's behind this."

Jeongyeon waited for the sound of radio chatter to die down. "Call it a gut instinct Chief. She's somehow connected to this."

Dahyun raised a brow. "It won't hold before a judge. They won't grant us permission."

Chaeyoung folded her arms, taking a supportive stance near her partner. "Then give us a man to shadow her. We'll get something on her."

Everyone could tell the Chief wasn't pleased with their request. But they saw her relent when Momo said, "We only have a week left before the next date. Eight people are dead Chief. We can't do just nothing."

"Fine," She glared, "But this better be worth it."

____

The heavy door slowly drifted inwards. A kid rushed out carrying a trash bag towards the sidewalk.

They had driven around aimlessly in the night until they arrived before the fifth victim's house.

"Are you cops?" A gentle knock on the window disturbed their thoughts.

"Yes." Chaeyoung smiled kindly at the kid.

"Cool." He grinned, extending an arm to shake. Chaeyoung bit back a smile as she shook his hands. "Are you here to investigate about Hajoon's murder?"

Jeongyeon frowned at her partner. She wondered why Chaeyoung was indulging the child as if they didn't have an unbreakable case on their hands.

"I can't tell you that." Chaeyoung shook her head in amusement.

"Well if you tell me that, I'll tell you a secret." The child leaned up on his toes to peek at Chaeyoung through the open window, speaking in a hushed tone.

Chaeyoung threw her head back and laughed. "Really little mister?"

"Yes." He answered quite seriously.

"Okay." Chaeyoung played along ignoring Jeongyeon grumbling something about having a child for a partner. "We're here to investigate about Hajoon."

"I saw the man on the newspaper with Hajoon in the library." He whispered, his eyes scanning for anyone nearby.

"Which man?" Chaeyoung's curiosity piqued.

"Some guy called Dong-Hyun."

Meet me at the L-

Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung looked at each other, their eyes bulging as the realisation dawned upon them.

What did the victims have in common? Their own question replayed in their mind. Of course, every other club, school, meeting places had a register. A library was the only place where anyone could walk in without having to be a member. The only common point that could connect their victims.

"Thanks kid." Chaeyoung shuffled the hair on his head. The child grinned up at her proudly.

___

Sana hugged Momo from behind. A frown adorned her beautiful face when she saw her girlfriend immersed in case files.

"You shouldn't bring work home." She sighed, laying a kiss on her shoulder.

"I know baby." Momo turned around slightly to give her an apologetic smile. "But you know how difficult this case is."

Sana nodded her head in understanding. Momo wrapped an arm around her waist, and pulled her into her. "Kiss me?"

The phone rang just then. Sana moved away with a sigh of disappointment. "Take the call, it's fine." She told her girlfriend who looked torn between wanting to pick up the phone and wanting to continue what she started.

"You want me to check the library footage now?" Momo scoffed into the receiver. "Do you realise the time? It's eleven at night."

"But why?"

Sana kicked off her heels and threw herself on the couch. It was going to be another long and lonely night.

"Alright. Inform the security. I'll get there in twenty minutes."

Momo clicked the receiver shut audibly.

"You'll have to go." Sana stated, the disappointment visible in her tone.

"I'm sorry baby." Momo took a step towards her girlfriend only to be cut off by a raised hand dismissing her.

"I'm used to it." Sana said dejectedly.

Momo left the flat, asking her girlfriend in a pleading voice to keep all the windows and doors shut, an uneasy feeling in her stomach growing with every passing second.