Chapter 5: Aspiration

1 month later

"So what do you think about god-parents?" Addison asks as he hands her a cup of coffee.
"Do you want to pick the godfather, I'll choose the godmother?" He asks loudly over his own hammering.
She sips the coffee and sits upon the deck as he pushes his hair back and she stares.
"Sure." She nods and scribbles it on a piece of paper.
"Sam and Naomi? In New York?" He asks as he reads it.
"I mean, we could ask Richard and Adele." She says.
"No that's okay. You could do Mark... if you really wanted to." The words slip out of his mouth so quietly and so freely that he gasps and holds his hand to his lips. She looks at him in awe and then smiles gently.
"I will then." She nods.

"Meredith for me." He says as he straightens the deck.
"Really? She doesn't have much experience with kids does she?" Addison asks.
"She is amazing with kids she just... never got to be one." He says gently, his mind wandering again.
"Great, can you call them later?" She asks.
"I'll talk to Meredith. I can't handle Mark." He says.
She nods and writes something down on her clipboard.

"Baby names?" She asks.
"Do you want to go traditional or something new?"
"I don't know, we can start listing and then choose later."
"I've always liked 'Iris' for a girl if we aren't going traditional. I also love Lee as a boy's name." He says, jumping down and staring at the straight deck at eye level.
"After your dad. Smart. I'll put that down. And I like Iris a lot. We'll discuss after the baby comes." She nods.
He grabs a towel from his shoulder and wipes the sweat and grime off his face before he gently kisses Addison's stomach.

Meredith's House

"How was work?" Meredith asks, pulling out a plate from the cabinet before putting some take-out in it.
"It was okay, I got to help a burned victim. How was research?" He asks as they eat.
She rolls her eyes and shakes her head, frustration filling her up. He smiles softly and leans over the counter before gently grasping her chin with his thumb and index finger. He tilts her chin up and she lets a smile slip from her face before he leans in and presses his lips to hers gently.
"The more I research it, the more depressing it gets." She sighs.
"It'll get better. If you need help don't hesitate to ask me." He smiles gently, sitting back down and letting go of her face.
"You are going to be more of a distraction." She smirks makes him laugh and nod.
"I know, but I can try to help." He smiles.
"I appreciate it." She says softly as they put away the dishes.
He wraps his arms around her and rests his chin on her shoulder.

"What happens now?" He asks.
"Sleep." She smiles.
"No, I mean. With us. I've never done this before." He says as she turns in his arms.
"I haven't either." She chuckles and leads him to the bedroom.
He takes off his shirt and tosses it while she unbuckles his belt.
"You know, you can be really really seductive sometimes." He groans as he lets himself fall into her bed.
"So can you. There's a reason that you get called 'McSteamy' at the hospital." She says, walking into the bathroom.
"They should have a name for you." He says, reaching over the nightstand for his laptop.
"I'm an intern. There isn't much about me that you have to work with." She says as clearly as she can, taking breaks between brushing her teeth.

"Tell me something then." He asks, checking his long list of emails and deleting most of them.
"Like what?" She holds the edge of the doorway and leans over it before looking at him with utter confusion.
Feeling her gaze lingering on him, he turns and smirks.
"I don't know. Tell me your favorite ice cream." He says as she rinses out the toothpaste and spits in the sink.
"Strawberry." She giggles and he closes the computer before putting it back over the nightstand.
"Oh. You're one of those girls." He raises his eyebrows as she climbs over him on the bed.