Chapter 5

"Hi again. You want the same drink as last time?"

Lan Wangji looks up at Wei Wuxian who still seems embarrassed by what had happened the other day.

"Yes. And a cream bagel as well please." He places the money down on the table. Wei Wuxian takes and hands him back his change. Lan Wangji then goes to sit down in the corner where he always sat.

"Wei Wuxian. Don't drop the drink again, okay?" He hears a female voice say. Lan Wangji turns and recognizes the young woman as the same one who was with Wei Wuxian the night they had first seen one another.

"Aiya, MianMian, do you think I'll make the same mistake twice? I already got scolded by the manager that time. I won't drop it again."

"Whatever you say."

Lan Wangji turns his attention to his notebook as Wei Wuxian comes over in an attempt to act like he wasn't listening to their conversation.

"You should not eavesdrop, Wangji." He could almost hear his uncle's stern voice in his head.

"Here you go, Lan Zhan." A plated bagel and a cup of steaming hot liquid is placed in front of him, far enough from the edge of the table to prevent another unfortunate spill. Lan Wangji stiffens at the use of his formal name.

"I'm on my lunch break now so...do you mind if I sit and talk with you?"

Lan Wangji gives him a silent stare and only gestures to the seat in front of him. He doesn't understand why a student from another university would be interested in talking to him. People either avoided him because of his reputation or because of the cold aire he gave off.

"What are classes like at Julliard? I was planning on taking a summer course there since I want to minor in music. Maybe give a shot at writing songs. Or singing." He seems to get shy at this.

"The course load is heavy. It is one of the most prestigious performing arts schools after all," Lan Wangji answers.

"Right." Wei Wuxian nods. His curious eyes drift over Lan Wangji's notebook.

"Do you like to write your own music? Or do you prefer singing and performing?"

"Composing. I've written...pieces on my guqin before," Lan Wangji confesses, feeling his ears go hot.

"Wei Wuxian!" It's MianMian again. "Shouldn't you eat your lunch? Why are you bothering him again?"

"We're just talking, MianMian!" Wei Wuxian calls back with an exasperated look. He looks back at Lan Wangji and gives an apologetic smile. "I'll be back after I eat up my lunch." He walks away and disappears behind the swinging door next to the drink-making station. Lan Wangji sips his coffee and eats his bagel. Wei Wuxian comes back shortly after with his lunch. As he gets closer, Lan Wangji smells the strong scent of spices that tickle his nose and causes him to sneeze.

"Oh, my apologies. I can move to another table if you want me to," Wei Wuxian says sheepishly. "Usually if I eat in the lounge, the other employees and the manager will complain and if I eat out here, I get worried about customers complaining. If it wasn't raining, I'd move to one of the tables outside."

"It is fine," Lan Wangji says all while trying to ignore the watering in his eyes and the pain flaring up his nose. Technically he can make a complaint right now. Not like how other people would complain but more like a polite request for them to move elsewhere to eat their lunch. Technically, he can move too, but that'd be rude considering the fact that Lan Wangji had just told the other boy it was fine.