chapter thirteen: early morning extravaganzas

A/n - hey bitches, sorry for not updating for ages,, going thru some shit rn :(

Luna's POV

Luna woke up gasping for breath. Another nightmare about her mother. Another. She didn't know why, but when October rolled around, the nightmares rolled around with it. It was just yet another thing she'd gotten used to over the years.

"Luna?" A soft voice called out from the darkness of the Ravenclaw dormitory. "Are you okay?" It was Cho. Cho Chang. Her head popped up through the curtains of Luna's bed, looking concerned.

"Yes, I'm quite alright, Cho," Luna replied, sitting up. "I'm sorry to wake you up."

"Oh, don't worry love, I was awake already." Cho tucked a hair behind her ear. "It's like 4:30am, I can't sleep, can you?"

"No, I can't." Luna said back, sitting up.

"Want to get ready and go down to the Hall now? There's no point staying up here, really." Cho smiled.

"Okay." Luna smiled too.

Once both the girls had got all their things together, they wandered down to the Great Hall, which they found practically empty.

"Would you like to go over our Astronomy notes by the lake while we wait?" Luna asked Cho.

"Good idea, Luna! That sounds nice, let's go."

Luna found comfort in Cho Chang. They'd always ended up together over the years at Hogwarts, and both enjoyed being nerds every so often, like every Ravenclaw does. Of course.

They found a spot beside the lake that was hidden from the wind, and quickly set up camp. Luna sat down, leaning against a tree. Cho settled in next to her, a book on her lap. And for a minute, if only a minute, Luna's life was at peace.

It was only a minute though, because not long after the two began to share notes, three figures came flying into the grounds, bumping into each other and laughing hysterically.

"Uh oh," Cho muttered, "here comes some drunk Slytherins."

Uh oh indeed. The three came closer and closer to Luna and Cho's little setup against the big oak tree. As they approached, Luna finally recognised them. Pansy Parkinson came bustling towards them, nearly tripping over on the way. Behind her, Draco Malfoy strolled drunkenly, a half-empty bottle of Firewiskey in his hand. And finally, trudging behind Draco, Blaise Zabini came up to them, a cig in his hand, smoke rising from it.

"Well, if it isn't two nerdy little Ravenclaws!" Pansy exclaimed, throwing her arms into the air dramatically.

Draco snorted. "We just came back from getting drunk and high, and you're fucking studying. Pathetic."

Luna smiled. "Hello, Draco."

Draco spluttered. "You can't call me that, you loon!"

Behind him, Blaise stiffened, his hand slightly moving towards Draco's shoulder, but stopping.

"Why not?" Luna asked, "It is your name, is it not? Or is your name just Malfoy?"

"I-" Draco stared at her, almost dropping his bottle. "I don't- GOOD BYE!"

With that he stormed off, chucking the bottle of Firewiskey into the lake as he went.

"Well." Cho said, amused. "That's not environmentally friendly."

Pansy rolled her eyes, already turning to go after Draco. "Dray! Wait!" She went hurtling through the grounds, stumbling.

Luna had almost forgotten that Blaise was still standing there.

"So?" Cho asked him. "Are you going after your 'friends' then?"

Blaise looked from Luna to Cho, awkwardly rubbing a hand on the back of his neck.

"I, uh, wanted to talk to Luna, actually." He muttered, kicking a rock that lay by his feet.

"Oh," Cho said, "Go on, then."

Blaise sighed. "Alone. Please."

"Oh." Cho said again. "I'm going to go back to the dorm for some things, okay Luna? Be back soon."

"Okay." Luna replied, watching her walk back to the castle. She turned back to Blaise. "Why did you want to talk to me alone?"

Blaise's POV

Blaise walked slightly close to where Luna was sitting. "Do you remember that party?"

"Hmm?" Luna was distracted. Blaise turned just in time to see merpeople fly out of the lake, their tails sending ripples of water across it. Luna jumped up, clapping her hands. "Oh, wow! That was beautiful. You know, merpeople have always fascinated me." She clapped again, as if reliving the moment.

Blaise laughed despite himself. She turned to him, a pure smile on her face, and Blaise knew.

Luna sighed happily. "What did you want to tell me, Blaise Zabini?"

"Well, I have forgotten now, it seems, Luna Lovegood." He replied sarcastically. "As you were too busy watching merpeople like Professor Sprout."

Luna laughed, and Blaise knew. Luna smiled, turning back to the lake, and Blaise knew. Blaise playfully tugged a strand of Luna's hair, and she turned back, a shocked expression on her face, and Blaise knew. Luna took the cigarette from Blaise's hand and brought it to her lips, and Blaise knew. They sat down together, and Blaise knew. He turned to see Cho standing by the castle, and with a knowing smile, walk back in. He looked back at Luna to find her asleep against his shoulder.

And Blaise knew.