Horsing Around

Percy

Percy leaned across the breakfast table to grab a cinnamon roll from the basket of pastries. The chatter in the dining hall was slightly subdued by the late night last night, and he found himself wondering why the girls seemed to be almost suspicious of Sophie at first. 

The assigned activity that day was horseback riding, which meant that Hazel was extremely excited, running as far to the front as she could without passing Sophie and Keefe.

The stable was shady, with several horses resting in their stalls or cantering around nervously. Sophie walked up to the large, worn steel shed and opened it to reveal walls covered in horse gear.

"This is the tack room," she explained. "Each person should grab a helmet they think will fit, then put it on their heads. I'll come by and make sure it's the right size."

Percy picked up a sea-blue helmet and looked at it, trying to see whether it would fit. Shrugging to himself, he placed it on his head and clipped it under his chin. Sophie walked up to him and began to give instructions, speaking loudly so everyone could hear her.

"Nod your head." Percy did as she asked.

"Shake it." Feeling slightly foolish, Percy shook his head.

"Good. The helmet fits you."

Once everyone had their helmets on, Sophie asked, "Does anyone have previous riding experience?"

Only Hazel raised her hand. Percy figured that Sophie had meant actually controlling a horse, which he was sadly lacking experience in.

"Okay, everyone, time to take the horse tour!" Sophie began walking, and the group trailed after her. Piper was the first to stop at a horse's stall. Sophie smiled at her, then walked up to the medium sized smoke grey horse.

"This is Gala. She's a bit stubborn sometimes, but really sweet and loyal. She'd be a good fit for you."

Percy looked at the horse, who turned her head briefly from nuzzling at Piper's braided hair to say to him calmly, Hi. Son of Posiedon? Coral will be ecstatic to see you!

Alex

Alex watched Sophie from a distance. She seemed to be almost talking to each horse that passed, and every so often she stopped one of the people in the group and told them to wait there, until Alex was the only one trailing behind Sophie. 

A twinge of apprehensiveness shocked through Alex. She would have been fine with battling Sophie if she turned out to be some sort of monster or demon, but the waiting was almost torture. 

Sophie didn't give off any signs of knowing the thoughts going through Alex's head, though, as she turned down one of the paths branching off of the one they were on and walked right up to the gate of the last stall. Inside was a horse that almost glowed the yellow of the sunset.

"This is Trouble," Sophie said. "She's the most mischievous mare, which is why she's in solitary for the most part. Do you think you can lead her, or do you want me to?"

Alex replied quickly, "No, I'll lead her."

Chuckling quietly, Sophie opened the gate carefully, closing it behind her. Taking the rope in her hand, she walked up to Trouble and gently clipped it to the rope thing on her head.

Alex really needed to learn horse lingo. Sophie led the mare to the gate, and once the both of them had gotten out of the pen, she handed the rope to Alex.

"Go ahead and walk Trouble to grooming station 1, okay? When you get there, just wait for me."

Alex did as Sophie had asked, having to watch Trouble carefully so as not to be bumped into the fence. Her name was well earned.