Bobby's Burgers

~Steve’s POV~

Nikki’s small figure against mine felt like heaven. No, scratch that, it was better than heaven. Maybe it was just my hormones, but something about this girl was special. The way she smiled; the way she was afraid of my ride. It reminded me of the model motorcycle I had when I was younger. At heart I am still the small schoolboy from way back in the day….I shake my head and realize this is not the time to be thinking of my-um-interesting past.

The neon sign of Bobby’s Cheeseburger joint comes into view, and I slow the moto and pull into a small spot between the parking lot and the diner. This is one of the many positives of owning a motorcycle in the middle of a big city.

My date shakily gets off, and I laugh at the glare she gives me.

“A burger joint?” She asks curiously. “I would’ve dressed down had I known we were going out for burgers.”

“Maybe you should’ve asked.” I wink at her, and she rolls her eyes.

“Like Mr. Stark would let me do that.” I laugh, and then answer.

“Well I still think you’d look beautiful either way.” She blushes, and then shivers from the bit of wind outside.

“Let’s go inside.” She nods in agreement, and we walk through the doors marked with the same neon as the cheap sign.

~Nikki’s POV~

 Wow. What a day. Did he just call me beautiful? All these questions run through my head, and at the same time I take a seat in the red and blue booth with a single rose lying on the worn table. He takes a seat across from me, and places a menu in front of my hands.

“They have really great burgers here.”

“Hmm, I never would’ve guessed.” I say; my voice thick with sarcasm.

“Was that sarcasm?” Steve asks, pretending to be hurt. “That stings.”

“I’m sure it does. That’s my second language, ya know.”

   At that moment a waitress comes to our table for our order. She’s pretty, with her blonde hair and emerald eyes. I figured Steve would look at her, maybe even ogle a bit. He’s a guy; of course he will take a long look.

  To my surprise, though, all he does is be a gentleman.

“Nikki, what would you like?”

“I’ll take a number one with lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, and ketchup."

“And I’ll have the same.” He says, only looking up as to not be rude and then his eyes are back on me. To most girls, motions like that would never be noticed, let alone taken to attention. With me, well it was different. That small gesture made my heart flutter in a way I know it shouldn’t be. You would think I would’ve learned my lesson the first time.

  The girl giggles from the one glance, then rushes off to file our orders. My guess would be she volunteered to take our order. I roll my eyes, this time not in a jokingly way, and Steve notices.

“Is she gone yet?” Instantly I giggle.

“Is that the way you talk about every girl?”

“Nah, just the girls that bother my date.” I am beginning to feel like I am in a romance novel; this is crazy. At that very moment, our meals show up.

“What? That was fast.” I say, amazement clear in the tone.

“I have a friend that works here, let’s just say he does everything fast.”