A Back-Room Deal

[Posted May 13, '21]

[A/N: What a hard year for everyone. My mom's really sick, it's not gonna get better. So I'm struggling to find times to update thanks for yr patience. Also to those of you reading from India, it sounds like such a enormously difficult situation right now.  Wishing and praying for the best for your country and for the safety of all your loved ones.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~

🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Freshman Year Formal was a week away. At the mall, Lilly tried out a violet sequined dress with flocked sleeves, while Kai waited outside the dressing room. It was one of those dresses: You couldn't tell if it looked so cheap that it was actually expensive. Or if it was so expensive that it was actually cheap. Actually, it was ten dollars. "It's my only shot at looking amazing," said Lilly.

"You do look amazing," said Kai.

All Lilly needed now was her date.

That was Kai's job.

So back in the dorm, Kai drafted a message to Yi Taeyong.  Then edited it...only about fifty, sixty times.

This is the first time I've asked anyone on a date! she thought. Even if it's on my best friend's behalf!

Squeezing her eyes shut like she was about to kill a bug bare-handed, she hit send.

Just a few minutes later, Taeyong came back with a response.

>>>> Come by my place off campus. Let's discuss.

. . * * * * . . . . . .
. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

Double checking Taeyong's apartment number, Kai rang the doorbell.

"Come in," said a commanding voice.

So Kai pushed the door open.

And there he was: Lilly's love interest—seated in an armchair, in a flowing robe, long black pants, and velvet slippers. Kai took in the sight. The bare-walled apartment. Simple, minimal, clean, modern.

Heavens. Taeyong was good-looking. Kai could understand Lilly's infatuation.

And yet, rumors said he was part of the local mafia. According to gossip, Yi Taeyong used his knowledge of international banking to launder money for the mob.

I hope you know what you're doing, Lilly, thought Kai.

Then again, when was gossip ever true!?

God knows how much gossip Kai endured in high school. It was partly what sent her to Nina's greenhouse every day when class let out.

She tried to push all that out of her mind, as she stared at Taeyong's angled face. His chiseled jaw and cheekbones, his soft eyes.

"So..." Taeyong said. "You want to set me up with your roommate?"

Kai nodded.

He was silent. Then, his head tilted, he said, "I don't want to needlessly hurt people. Is this girl ok with the truth? That I don't want to be involved with her? Now, or ever?"

Kai thought quickly and nodded. She'd fill Lilly in on that factoid later. Meanwhile, she had to handle this the best way she could.

"Wait—" she hesitated. "Is that because you're with someone else?"

It wouldn't be right to throw Lilly smack-dab into the middle of a pre-existing relationship.

Taeyong shook his head. "No. I'm just not available. Like you said." He smiled.

Hmm.

Kai looked around, thinking. And then Taeyong spoke again:

"But, I'll go with her to that dance—"

Kai's eyebrows went up. That's good news so far ...

"—if—" added Taeyong:

If...?

"—If we can all go as some kind of big group of friends. So it doesn't send anyone the wrong message."

"Seems fair." Kai pursed her lips. "Who else?"

"Oh, you and Lilly. Anyone else you want," said Taeyong, "And my roommates."

Kai suddenly had the weird feeling she was negotiating the fate of captives at an interstellar bazaar in Star Wars. "Who are your roommates?" she sighed.

Taeyong glanced over his shoulder at a door behind them, just as it opened.

And Tom Levay emerged. Dressed in a blazer, ready to go out, with a thermos in his right hand.

"Hi, Kai."

She froze.

Taeyong swiveled toward Tom Levay. "Looks like we're going to the Freshman Year Formal," said Taeyong. "Ready to pretend we're kids again?" They laughed.

Why did he have to rub it in? Kai thought. You don't have to remind me that this is some immature freshman-year ritual you've already done, years ago.

Lilly.... !

Should I back out?

But Lilly really wants this. And we WILL just be all going to this thing as a big group.

Slowly taking a sip from his thermos, Tom pointed at Kai. "Make sure you tidy up," he grinned at her. "No potting soil on overalls allowed."

Her lips tight, Kai responded, "Just as Taeyong said: we're all going as a big group of friends."

It had to be made clear.

Tom nodded. "Are we not all friends here?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

~~~~~~~~~~~~